1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String Bass'ers (Tuning Poll)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Snerek, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Low B to G

38 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Low E to C

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Other (please post)

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    I've been playing a 5 string bass since i started grooving 3 years ago. I'm curious to see what tuning and string setup ya'll use.

I use B to G

but lately i'm thinking about going with E - C

i would think this would be beneficial for us 5'ers so that we could slap better, smaller strings = more string spacing..

Thoughts?

Vote!

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    IMHO the high C would have a lot of snap but very little meat in the sound for slapping

3. agreed. +1

4. iScott

iScott

Jun 13, 2007
    Decatur, GA
    Interesting. I've never heard of people tuning from E-C on a 5 (which isn't saying much as I'm still new to most concepts). Makes sense, though.

5. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    rarely BEADG, usually ADGCF, sometimes GDGCF, ADADG, or GCFA#D#. tuning low is jolly-good fun

6. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    so you guys would recommend me staying with B to G if i want to learn slap bass stylings?

7. c_joseph_lier

c_joseph_lier

Aug 7, 2007
    I did E-C but mainly for a trio setting which allowed for ease of soloing for bass "lead" parts. I have never been a fan of anything below a low D, which I also had a Hip-Shot on my bass to do that as well ... Personal preferance really.

8. I would, but that doesn't mean you cant TRY both.

I find slapping HORRIBLE on the B string, but popping isnt as great in my opinion on the C string either...

You can slap on either setup, and you will probably find that you pretty much use E A D G and not your 5th string. I would just personally rather have a low B than a high C

9. absolutely.

10. c_joseph_lier

c_joseph_lier

Aug 7, 2007
    Again, personal choice ... when i did an audition and had to play "All Around The World" by RHCP, having the E-C tuning was perfect. Plus, i had a PJ 5 string, so i had plenty of bump in the night, as well as snap ... depends on what you need brother...

11. so basically I would recommend keeping it the way You have it now unless you come across a new and specific reason to change it.

or buy a 6er...

12. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    now i just need some good slap bass strings.....

ernie balls?

13. +1. And the C tends to get in the way if you're not used to popping it.

Too, many players (though I haven't tried it myself- but should) when playing a fretless 5, go with the high C instead of the low B. Makes sense for the beautiful sounds a fretless has up high/soloing, and 'positioning' isn't as critical on the B, not to mention the B string tone not being good, in a fretless context that is.

14. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    A E A D G

15. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Ok for home practice with scales and what not i use
    BEADG

though with my band i use
    BDADG
    Mainly because they play alot of open low D's and its difficult to move the fret board tot eh D on the B string..... come to thing about it what about tuning

DEADG <------- even sounds hardcore lol

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Voted B-G cus that would be a more normal tuning compared to Drop-A that i use