Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string basses causing tendinitis to flare up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davo737, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've developed tendinitis in my right wrist, and I've noticed that I can play my 4 for as long as I want with very little pain, but the pain is SIGNIFICANTLY worse after playing a 5. I would really hate to have to stop playing 5s. I've done some searches here for tendinits, but haven't stumbled across anyone mentioning the pain being related to the number of strings. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lates,
    Dave

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe you should start hunting for a 5 string with a reasonably thin neck. Start with Ibanez.

3. What 4's are you using? I know I had tendonitis flare up with both my P-bass and my Modulus Q6. I don't think its the amount of strings but rather improper technique.

As for a thin neck, the Moduli have pretty darn thin necks as it is.

4. Didn't Jake Kot have to give up playing his 6 because of tendonitis?

5. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    It actually developed playing Modulus Q5s exclusively. When the pain got really bad, I went to an orthopedic, then a physical therapist who specializes with musicians. At the height I'm most comfortable playing, there was an odd combination between the size of the body and my forearm and hand size that left my wrist bent at more than a 75 degree angle. I then went to playing only my jazz bass, and the pain went away entirely. Picked up a Stingray 5, and bam, it's back. Eh, I dunno...

6. Then I'd say search for a bass with the same radius neck of your jazz bass! I've found the fat baseball bat necks are easier on the wrists.

I'm currently in the process of that as well. I'm selling my Modulus and Marcus Miller, just because I love the neck of my P-bass soo much. My fretless' neck is about the same size as my P-bass. So in the place of the other two, I'm considering getting a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 string. The radius on its neck is 10" and the radius of my P-bass is 9.5".

7. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not sure that the neck radius will have much of an impact, as it's my right arm wrist that has the tendinitis, not my left. I've tried lowering the bass, but then my left wrist becomes sore, not to mention the loss that my technique suffers. I've also tried not resting my forearm on the body to decress my wrist angle, and that helps a bit, only until my shoulder gets tired. I've been working on using the floating thumb technique more (I already float it between the pickup, lowest string, and one string above that), so maybe that'll help some.