1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string basses with 1.75" nut and 19mm string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinness20, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Firstly I know this is very specific. I'm considering buying a 5 string but still learning my preferences for string pacing on 5ers, I was at a guitar show in Liverpool UK today and tried a gorgeous 5 string made by a luthier called Adam Dolan. It had these specs and it was the first 5 string that felt comfortable. Unfortunately a custom hand built guitar by a luthier doesn't come cheap.

I just wanted to know what if any 5 string basses have this nut width & string spacing. Any replies much appreciated :thumbsup:

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    IIRC, the Dingwall Super Series does. Still not cheap though...

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Pretty much anything lakland.

Guinness20 likes this.
  4. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    G&L

Guinness20 likes this.
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Stingray 5 has 1.75" nut width with 18 mm spacing. Worth checking out.

TD

6. clivem

clivem Guest

Dec 1, 2016
    Ibanez BTB 5 string has 19mm spacing and 1.85" (47mm nut), ISTR.

patrickj and Guinness20 like this.
  7. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Brubaker Brute MJX. 19mm string spacing, 1.75" at the nut, 34" scale. used, they go for a few hundred $$ (US). you could use the money you save to improve the electronics.

Brute specs

8. I’m pretty sure my Carvin/Kiesel PB5 has those specs. Probably other models of theirs too.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Gibson EB 2017 model, 5-string version. I'm fairly certain that 2018 sports the same specs but it's marginally more expensive, at least in the U.S.

10. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    G&L 5 strings are all 17mm spacing at the bridge.

TomB likes this.
  11. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    No, Lakland 5-strings have a 1.81" nut width.

12. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Fbass BN5

13. In a spirit of sharing experience rather than telling people what to do, I must say that I discovered why 5 strings tend to have 17mm spacing when I built myself a 5 string with 19mm spacing many years ago. I also built it with the extra magic inch - a 35" scale. It sounds wonderful, but is a bit of a pig to play. After playing it for some months, I realised I needed that 19mm when I dig in and boogie, not for getting that passing low note or for allowing articulation over two octaves in one hand position. So, when I finally save up for a new bass, it will have 19mm spacing, and four strings. And as I will be using it for blues and boogie it will be a P bass.

Other people's mileage will certainly vary.

14. You played it, you decide.

My goto 5 is 19 spaced but 41mm centre to centre at the nut. I don't think an extra 3mm would make too much difference.

15. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    17.5mm spacing ;-)

16. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    There are actually very few true 18 mm bridged basses, other than Fender which does not offer the 1 3/4” nut, with a properly designed neck taper. Ken Smith comes to mind. Most of the rest of the builds which offer 1 3/4” nut tend to be either 17.5 mm or 19 mm neck tapers.

The Sadowsky Will Lee is a very fine example of a 19 mm spaced 5 string with the 1 3/4” nut.

17. ^^^^^ This, 1000%. Great balance and incredible feel of the asymmetrical neck make this one which you need to look into. Sound very good stock, put some cash into a few electronics upgrades (very simple to do yourself, easy access, standard size parts, etc...) and, WOW!

Sav'nBass likes this.
  18. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I have found that my left hand is more sensitive to neck thickness and radius than nut width. For instance, Fender's older 5 string necks were a bit thicker and for me with my small hands were uncomfortable but, their newer necks are "1963 C shape" which are thinner than the older necks but the same nut width. I find the their newer 5 string necks, 3/4" string spacing, and 1.85" nut quite comfortable. If you are keeping your left thumb perpendicular to the neck and not wrapping your thumb, you'll find that you can adapt to different neck profiles much easier.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    if i remember correctly, you should be able to get these basses with those specs:

Sadowsky NYC Basses
    M Basses
    Mike Lull Bass