Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Nov 13, 2003.

Which one?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2003.
  1. Zon (any)

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Benavente Vortex

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Roscoe

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Fbass

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Stingray 5

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Modulus Genesis

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Lakland 55-02

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Help me decide on these please.

2. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Fretted or fretless?

What bass do you play now?

how much do you want to spend

What qualities are most important to u

3. I just want to know your personal preference.

4. that is some price range to work with.

those are a very wide variety of basses. the Roscoe, F-bass and Benavente are custom basses and super sweet.

the Lakland and stingray and awesome basses and have a great classic style tone.

the Modulus and Zon have the graphite necks, you really need to play them and see how you like that kind of neck.

you should probably get out there and play some stuff if you have that wide of options available. do you want a custom bass that you order and have built for you or do you want to just go somewhere and buy something that is in stock. personally I'd go for the F-bass but those run around $3000. and before you drop that kind of cash you should have a good idea about what you want.

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Umm... That is like a HUGE price range, it's like.

"What car do you think i should get? The Camry or the Ferrari?"

If you got the greens, My vote is for a Lakland Skyline 55-94, IMO that would be a better option than the 55-02, but the 02 is also a great bass.

6. I'm going to buy used and want to keep it under $1500.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I voted Zon based off of looks also. I've heard a few sound clips too man. Try stuff out!!

8. That's why I need you guys to poll in! It's a five hour drive for me to try out anything but Fender!

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Dude, If I had that much money to spend on a bass, and had to go to another state, I would.

TRUST ME, you will most likely love playing all of them, My favorite bass company is prolly Modulus Then Lakland.

10. Think Sadowsky!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    great bass... but not for $1500!
    I voted Vortex! I've never felt a neck I liked more then my Benavente :bassist:

12. check out the Peavey Cirrus.

13. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Euro Spector NeckThru.
    Oh yes.

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    That, or a Schecter;)

15. I've played all of those basses except the Benevente, and the Stingray 5 is my favourite out of them. That being said, they're all fine instruments and I'd like to have one of each.:D Except the Modulus maybe.....Not a big Modulus fan...

16. Dude,

I think Roscoe is one of the best bang-for-the-buck basses out there. You can get a hand-made 5 string with the greatest B string onthe planet (well, lots of us think so) for well under your price point. And to top it off they're beautiful too!

BT

17. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    jason, according to your profile you already own a stingray 5. i think you own one if the greater basses on the list in my oppinion.

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, add Sadowsky into the mix. But the F Bass is sure a contender.

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    What he said!