5-String Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 28, 2001.

1. I am buying a 5 string bass later this year. I tried one out at a store. I think it was a peavey. I don't know what model it was but it sounded pretty good. I want to buy one of those ibanez ergodyne 5 strings because that's what fieldy and sam rivers plays.
    If you have any models that you think are good just let me know. And you can suggest other brand names because I'm just lokking for the best 5 string bass.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    sam uses an ibanez 5 string something with lad's in the neck
    thats all i know
    oh yeah and its black
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    red led's i mean
    ummm yeah thats all i know but ill keep looking cause i want one
    oh yeah it costs $3800
  4. Well.....neither of them use ergodynes... Fieldy uses soundgears and Sam is now using Warwick (the one with LED's is a Warwick ). Fieldy , however is still thumping away on his soundgear
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    go for it Brendan...better from you than me.

7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    oh, this has been coverd o so many times.....but i was once a newbie and know how it feals not to be taken seriously. sam used to play ibanez but like many others have said is now playing a warwick. kirbywrx you might wanna try useing that edit button by your post so you can fix your mistakes. im not sure the exact model fieldy uses but you could try ibanezs web site.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah...heck with it

Limpy: NEVER buy a bass because your hero plays that kind of bass. I think Jeff Berlin summed it up well in this Article (courtesy of Bass Player Online)

A young bass player walks into a music store, his hard-earned money clenched tightly in his fist. He's ready to buy a bass and is thinking only of the joy it will give him to make musical sounds on a new instrument. As he walks along the bass display, trying to decide which instrument will suit his needs, the disease hits. His eyes get glassy, his legs turn to rubber, and his palms start to sweat. He has just become another unsuspecting victim of gotta-have-it-osis. Why? Because he just spotted the very same bass guitar his favorite bass player uses.

It's identical in every way: the same nuclear-meltdown paint job, the same stegosaurus-skull-shaped body ... even the same hole next to the pickup where his hero parks his upper dental plate while he shoots strained beets out of his mouth during the ballad. The kid is elated. He grabs the bass, gives the E string a cursory pluck--"feels great to me"--runs to the counter, hands over his money, and dashes out the door.

Two months later, the victim's disease clears up. He's figured out that the cables supporting the Golden Gate Bridge are easier to pluck than the strings on his bass, that the fumes from the paint job give him a headache, and that he's jammed his thumb twice in that damned dental hole. Besides, his fave bass god doesn't play anymore because he's dedicated his life to saving the crabs in Madagascar. What a scenario!

Okay, this is a bit of an exaggeration. But there are still legions of musicians who don't know what separates a good instrument from a bad one. You may be one of them, so let me help you. The bottom line is this: The only good bass is a bass that lets you play what you hear.

Any experienced player knows this. Weird body designs, garish rock & roll colors, and flashy decals have nothing to do with the quality and playability of a new bass. If you choose a bass that plays good first and looks good second, then you're a smart buyer who's way ahead of the pack. Quality is everything. Never forget this unless you don't care about quality--I'm serious--and you're only into playing for show. Some people are, you know.

This should be the end of the article. There isn't anything more to say about this subject, except that every guitar company on earth wants you to think its instruments are superior to those made by other companies. There's nothing unusual about this, and these days there are many great instruments available. You, the purchaser, are in an enviable position; you can pick and choose from dozens of different styles and features: 4-string, 5-string, 6-string, two-octave necks, graphite necks, copies of "vintage" models, passive vs. active electronics, exotic woods, different pickups, high-tech hardware, etc. So, first, you must decide what you need. How do you know?

Welcome to a symposium on bass-buying. Where does this symposium take place? Ideally, it should happen in the music store where you go to purchase your instrument. I'm going to give you some tips concerning your requirements as a purchaser and the store's requirements as a seller. It's really not too complicated, and I hope you will come out of this article as a more aware consumer.
  9. Austin7

Apr 22, 2001
    Rock Rapids, IA
    If I get a five string bass, I want me a Warwick or an Ernie Ball Stingray.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Limpy - You sound like price is no object, but I still wouldn't tell you to buy one the more expensive basses that I know of.

"the best 5 string bass" is the one that gets the sound you want, is comfortable and easy for you to play, and looks nice to you.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yeah, a Spector NS-5 CR :D:);)
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    IMO, don't go Soundgear. The one Fieldy uses is a USA custom handbuilt model...not like what you'd see in a store. They are a couple thousand dollars OVER the top of the line production ones, so what you'll get wouldn't be what he has. Sam Rivers used USA custom BTB/Soundgear hybrids for a couple years before switching to Warwick. I doubt you've got the money for either, and it still wouldn't be worth it if you did.

For the money, look into the Ibanez BTBs, or MTD Kingstons. DO NOT look into the Soundgears, IMO.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if you want the best 5-string, it ain't gonna be an Ibanez. I'm off my Ibanez sucks campaign now, because, primarily, Ibanez does not suck. Also some of the old timers here get their jaws torqued if I say it to newbies.

Ibanez makes pretty good entry-level guitars, and they are fairly priced. I was impressed with the new BTB series. Very nice. The article by Jeff Berlin quoted above states my case better than I could. It really wouldn't matter what type of bass Fieldy plays. He EQ's it heavy on lows and heavy on highs to get one particular sound ... his sound. He also tunes down to Ab on the B string. Pretty much any 5-string bass can produce that sound. The question is, can it sound like a bass guitar?

If you want the "best" 5-string, start thinking along the lines of Sadowsky, Lakland, MTD, Fodera and a host of others. The "best" is not necessarily the one that sounds best to you (no flames please). It's pretty clear you haven't played or listened to many 5-strings. You need to go down to GC, play some Ibanez, then pick up a Stingray 5, a Pedulla, an American Jazz or Jazz Deluxe, and anything else. You'll find that even the Am Fenders will sound better than the Ibanez.
  14. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    If you go to www.bassplayer.com, you can find a huge "5-string-shootout", where they test a lot of those huge logs of wood, and where they tell you precisely what they look for in a five string bass.
    (Just click on "gear", in the menu, and it's somewhere near the bottom of the page, on your right side)

Might be very interesting for you.
  15. [​IMG]
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

Some people here might get on your case for wanting a bass just because you like a cat or two that plays that bass.

Some people here might get on your case cuz you like Fieldy.

It's wrong to bash you cuz of who you like. You like who you like. But the people telling you not to get something because someone you like has it are right on. And really, they are trying to do you favor. Acheiving the sound of your fav. bassist happens by studying their style, not gear. Try a lot of basses out. It doesn't matter what gear Fieldy uses, if you want to sound like him (resisting...urge............), then study his technique (must.....resist........"technique"......and.....Fieldy.....in.....same.....sentence........). Okay, got it out of my system. :D

Point is, please take ALL bases into consideration and find the one that YOU like. Remember, Bird didn't sound like Bird cause of his horn, the Jazz at Massey Hall recording proves that.
  17. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    What's your budget ? I like Warwick and MusicMan / Ernie Ball. But they are somewhat expensive. :) And I'm glad to sell my Aria Pro II Avante AVB-TN5, but I'm way here in Asia so I don't think any one would buy. And the Aria Pro II is great for beginners.