Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AsteroidM2070, Sep 3, 2001.

1. AsteroidM2070

AsteroidM2070

Aug 3, 2001
    Hey I was thinking of getting a five string and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I'm thinking about the 5 string deluxe jazz active bass from fender or an erine ball musican 5 sting. Anything under $1,200(give or take $500)(my budget:D)
    thankx in advance.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Those are two excellent choices right there. I find the Stingray 5 neck to be a little "club-like" though. Still a superb playing and sounding bass. May I suggest you try a Fender American Precision Deluxe 5 as well? I've played these, and they seem to have wider tonal possibilities than the two you mentioned. If you can find one, that is.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't checked recently but somebody has a Lakland D55 on the Talkbass classified at a screamingly rediculous low price. Lakland's are very hard to beat. And IMHO beat the pants off of most other 5 string basses. Just ask Munjibunga. :D

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, based on a recent e-mail from, uh .... oh yeah, Jerry J, the Sadowsky might be one that the 55 doesn't beat. Either way, you'd end up in Hog Heaven. BTW, Jerry's been easing his GAS lately, but not with simethicone. Eden, Sadowsky, Lakland ... HOLY MOLY! I can't keep up! I NEED SOME NEW GEAR! More on this later.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, what the heck. I haven't posted this old chestnut in a while. Here's a few fives, with one token four and an Ovation 8-string microbass. The Lakland fretless 5 ain't in this picture.

There. Now I feel better.

6. Carvin makes a great 5 for under $1000.

7. Oh, damn, what was the one I saw today? Ummm ........ uh ........ OH!! It was a really nice little Cort 5er. It was used at my GC for $975. Very nice, 3-band plus some switches that I have no idea what they do.

Oh, and I have to suggest the Ibanez EDC series. Ergodynes with huge horns, dual humbuckers, preamp, lightweight, and very cool. I have one. It's ALL good.

Rock on
    Eric

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Warwicks are nice. I really like the neck-thru thumb 5. But I cant stand the feel of the strings they come with!! Blah! Theyre so stiff and rough and just... ugh. When youre used to the slippery feel of Elixirs and Ernie Balls, its hard to play those.

Anyway, I like the thumb 5 neck through a lot. Check that out. :D

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Whatever makes you happiest.. I personally love my Stingray 5... It just does it for me. Some people of course think differently from me.. neither opinion is right nor wrong.. but if you like the sound of a $200 ibanez over a $1400 Stingray, people may not agree with you... and that may be stretching it just a tad bit. but hey if you like what else matters. on that note... get the stingray 5.. its a good one :) J/K

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was going to just post the identical thread.

I am in the same exact spot. Considering the MM and the Jazz. My random thoughts thus far:

I own a P-deluxe and a Sterling. The P bass is way more versatile than the Sterling. For that reason I'm leaning towards the Fender. Also - the Mexican Jazz deluxe is only $550. IMO there isn't much difference btwn this and the American, and it even has a few things about it (besides the price) that I like better - the tuning pegs for one. I've been playing a 4 string all my life, so the thinness of the J-bass neck is also something I'm taking into consideration.

What I like about the MM is (uh Duh!) the sound. I'm quite sure at this point that nothing sounds quite like a MM. My Sterling has such character, punchiness, and cut to it. I love the way they look, feel - I love maple necks. Is this stuff worth another $600 to me. I dunno.... I'm starting not to think so. I want to be able to use the 5 sting in a viariety of situations, and I don't think the MM is capable of a lot of the sounds the Jazz bass is.

I'd like to hear more of others thought on these 2 bases. Why does everyone start talking about all these other basses when someone asks about 2 particular basses. It reminds me of a music store in my neighborhood where I used to go to ask for something and the woman would always say "You don't want that, I've got this - which is way better!". I know what I want dammittt!!!!!

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ooops!

My apologies for that last comment. Just reread the thread and saw you said "anything under 1,200". That would also however rule out most of the basses mentioned. I also considered Warwick - I own a Warick also - but they're just too damn heavy, and too damn expensive for me right now.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Joe, I'm breaking your rule about other basses, but I think that you should check out a Peavey Cirrus 5.

The neck on it is much more playable than a Jazz V or a Stingray 5, and it gets the Jazz tone plus many many more. Doesn't get the Stingray tone, but like you said, no other bass does.