5-string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireStormX, May 30, 2003.

1. FireStormX

May 6, 2003
    Ohio, USA
    Has anyone ever seen any 5-string basses with the high-end string (the C-string I believe) instead of the low-B?? I've heard of basses with 5-strings and the 5th string being the below the G, I have a Dean Edge 5-string with the low-B above the E. I'm looking to get a 5 or 6 string to give me more options as far as writing more medolic songs. I'm running out of options with the 4-string I do play, I don't use the 5-string very often because I'm in a blues band, no need for a low-B. If anyone knows of such a bass, let me know.

2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Just re-string your Dean with a 5 string set that includes a high C string instead of the usual low B.
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    By the way, Labella makes 5 string sets with the high C, but you could always just buy a 6 string set so you have more brand choices. It's not much more money anyway.
  4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    It will need to get a new nut fitted to your bass so that it will fit the proper string gauges right, but it is very easy, and you can have your local tech do it for very cheap.
  5. a buddy of mine has a 5 string tenor bass and he uses an 18 gauge Hi C string. I loved how it sounded, but it did feel different considering it was so damned thin. If you aren't so fond of the low B go and do it, but its probably gonna cost like 100 bucks to convert it, as in getting a new nut and setup.
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I think the first fender 5 string was strung with a high c. I think that was before 5 strings were out and before the low b. Kinda ahead of its time. Late 70s, early 80s era. ?
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

One of my Fodera's is strung like this and it sounds absolutely fantastic. If I had the guts to go without the low B string I would probably do all my basses this way as I really like the configuration.