5 string, BC Rich Warlock Bass:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NightVampZ, Dec 1, 2001.

1. NightVampZ

Jun 22, 2001
    My dream bass is a 5 string BC Rich Warlock. I am saving up to buy one but, before I do, I just wanted to know if anyone out there either has one, or has played with one in the past. If yes, could you please tell me what you liked about it and what you didn't...? Are there any major downsides to this bass?
    Thanks alot!

2. Ive played one before... unfortunately :( big thumbs down for me. we were playing a show, and a hardcore band was opening up for us. anyway, he had the pointed beast. he went out to dinner when we were doing soundchecks, so I had to check his bass. it hung awkward, it played awkward, and had horrible tone. just my experience though, I dont want to take from your deam.
  3. Yep.. that's BCrich.. funky looks, but dissapointing tone...

i tried a Mockingbird 4-string once.. looks real cool, but the tone was terrible.. absolutely no deep lows and lower mids.. it sounded very uhm.. " metalic "..a lot of highs and upper mids..

if you like that tone.. go for it..
  4. Is it possible that BCRich uses Warmoth bodys???

And maybe you played the poplar versions, that could be one reason for the sound.
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Erm, I've never seen a Warmoth body that looks like a B.C. Rich.

To the poster... I've played many of the pointy basses. (ESP, B.C. Rich, etc)
    I don't think I can honestly say I've played one I like.

The tone was just really kind of lifeless to me.
    It's like an expensive Ibanez GSR 200, IMO.

I strongly suggest you try it before you buy it. I'm guessing you like metal... I think there's some other basses that do the metal thing better, that's just me though... You could check out a Precision, they've always been really deep, and big sounding. :)
  6. I have a B.C. Rich 5 string, its not the warlock though. and I think the thing sounds awesome!! its got an active MM style bartolini pickup.

I don't know what kind of wood the body is (layered with paint), but it sure is heavy.

I don't know what model it is, I bought used about 10 years ago. the body is shaped kinda like a P bass.

the string spacing is a little tight for my taste, but over all a good bass.
  7. JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    i've got to agree with the general outlook here. Big Thumbs down for it. That bass is only abour the look. Sounds terrible, barely any mids or lows on it. Plays kind of odd, though thats probably because of the awkward weight distribution. My suggestion: spare yourself the trouble and get some sort of Ibanez. It's not the best, but you can go alot farther with the Ibanez than the BC Rich.

But hey.. if you want to go for it, more power to ya. I'm just brutally imposing my opinions on you.
  8. Well Warmoth has Mockingbird bass bodys and warlock guitar bodies
  9. Well Warmoth has Mockingbird and Eagle bass bodys and warlock guitar bodies but i'm not sure if they make warlock bass bodies
  10. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Ok....I used to have an old model Platinum Warlock. Originally, the sound was "not so good", but after I dropped a set of EMG's in there, it sounded great. It had a hotter, deeper sound than pretty much any bass I've ever owned. The B.C. Rich electronics severely lacked, but was easily fixed. I personally didn't like the 36" scale of the bass however. It ended up hurting my arm when I played it too long, and it caused technique problems. Another disadvantage because of this, they can't fit in regular generic cases.
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No need to double post.
    Secondly, can you give me the link?
    I haven't been to warmoth.com in perhaps a month, but the last time I was there, they pretty much only had standard bodies (precision bass, jazz bass, etc, etc.)

Lastly, what you have to consider is, how difficult a bass like that is to play while sitting down, and how the design affects your sound.

Most people don't think body design affects your sound. However, it does, significantly.

Think about this...
    How many companies make Jazz or Precision bass copies? How many use the exact same woods and pickups? Now, how many sound exactly the same?

None, sound the same. :)
  12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't have any personal experience with B.C. Rich basses, but right off the top of my head, a few pros that use 'em are:

Jerry Only of The Misfits
    Talena Atfield of Kittie
    Bobby Dall of Poison

I read that Peter Steele of Type O dropped one onstage once and it snapped like a graham cracker.

Whether any of this info helps you or not, I dunno. ;)
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Jerry uses only the B.C. Rich body, the rest is custom. He's stated this before. :)
    Also, the majority of his recordings, he wasn't using a B.C. in. :)
  14. i like the widow 5-string. wicked coool.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BC Rich USA pro shop models are killer. They also cost over $2500, and are impossible to find.

The lower priced models are all looks, IMHO, they are designed to look way cool to nu-metal kids and sound terrible. As others have said, no lows, no low mids. All mids and highs, and in a bad way.

Crawlingeye, here's a pic of a Warmoth Mockingbird guitar body. They also make them in bass, as well as the Eagle body for bass, and the Warlock guitar. They probably have a licensing deal with BC Rich, so you could probably get any of their pointy designs from Warmoth.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Well, in this case, I guess if he really wanted, he could kind of build a good B.C. Rich-esque bass. :)
  17. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    why BC rich ?? :confused:

go with this one:

Plays better, looks better, is better: esh stinger

18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Are we talking about his "Annihilator" bass? It looks to me like all he did to "customize" it, was fasten a skull to the headstock of a B.C. Rich Warlock. Where has he stated this? I haven't seen a write-up on The Misfits or their instruments in years.

If he doesn't record with one, what does he record with?

EDIT: Of course, I meant "Devastator" bass. The "Annihilator" is Doyle's B.C. Rich-esque guitar.
  19. StErLiNgBaSsIsT

StErLiNgBaSsIsT Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    dude i support that you want a bc rich warlock 5 string and all. I honestly hate B.c. rich's they just dont seem to be my kind of thing but obviously they seem they are right for you if you really think so.
  20. CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    Jerry only and Doyles guitars are not B.C. Rich guitars, Jerry started out on a modded Rick 4001, and after that he has had a few different versions of his bass.

They were built by Rand guitars or gothic custom guitars. www.gothiccustomguitars.com

Jerry and Doyle also built alot of guitars themselves in there shop in nj.

The only B.C. Rich connection here is that Jerry was in talks with B.C. rich to build devastators and annhilator guitars. (probably lame chinese or korean junks)

Jerry only needs to stop this merchindising frenzy,
    Its starting to look like that scene in spaceballs.

"Spaceballs toilet paper,spaceballs breakfast cereal, spaceballs flamethrower."