Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string blues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by airrick, Mar 18, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    The time has come to get a 5er, so do any of y'all have some suggestions as to what cheapish 5ers are out there?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Used G&L Tribute: great bass, should run you about $350.

3. Define "cheapish." There are a lot of high-quality 5-strings out there for under $1000, and even a few for under $500.

4. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
  5. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    Five String Jazz Bass

6. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    mabye a little more specific, and if poissble, post the brand website. Thanks to all who responded:bassist:

7. $400 or so?

The aforementioned used G&L Tribute L2500 is a great start. Other high-quality 5-strings in that range include the MTD Kingston/Heir; the Ibanez BTB405; and if you look hard enough, maybe even a Carvin LB75.

Used gear is your friend in this area, BTW.

8. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    also, what about the yamaha rbx 375?

9. Anything with a Yamaha logo on it is going to be very well-made, but I've never heard good things about the B strings on any of their basses except for the TRB series. Anyone want to correct me here?

EDIT: I should also mention that the active circuitry on sub-$500 basses is one of the first places where manufacturers skimp. The aforementioned G&L has the same electronics as the more expensive US-made G&Ls, but that's a rarity. The reason the Kingston and Heir are so popular is that they are good-sounding passive basses (although there are active versions of both, if memory serves).

10. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    Look at the basses for sale forum.. There are many excellent 5's for sale.

11. The yamaha bb415 is a nice bass, the two that I checked out had great tone and good b-strings. I haven't tried the active 615, but I thought the passive 415 was really nice for the price.

12. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I'll second the MTD Kingston. The OLDER (pre-2005) ones are passive with the half-moon pickguards. The NEWER ones (2005 and up) are active and have no pickguard at all.

You can find them used VERY reasonable, but even new, you are talking $500+.

Second choice would be a used G&L or possible their Tribute series.

13. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    thank very much guys, and while im here, i happned to glance upon a squier mb-5, what do you have to say about this buget 5 string? i have a standand squier p bass and its fine, so this seems like a reasonable choice, you thoughts?

used basses wont work for me, because my parents wont allow it:meh:

14. I would avoid the MB-5; unless things have changed recently, those are 4-string pickups in a 5-string housing, and the B and G will sound awful. Even if those are 5-string pickups, the B will still sound so bad as to be unusable.

Why won't your parents let you buy used equipment? Do they think that only "riff-raff" buy things secondhand? :rolleyes:

15. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    no riff raff or anything (were not snobs, or rich), but perhaps i can convince them otherwise, thanks about the mb 5 though, what about the squier percission bass special v (5 string)

16. I've run into people who have that attitude about used gear. They tend to be the same sort who won't buy an elegant house in a wealthy inner suburb because it was built in the '20s, but instead buy a McMansion on the exurban fringe and commute three times as far to work. :rollno:

17. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
  18. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    again many thanks for all the opionions, looks like 9assuming i have to buy new) its narrowed down to the rbx or the squier pbass special 5 string, any idea on which is better? right now im leaning twards the yamaha...