5 string brands

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dougray, Jun 9, 2002.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hello, need to know what brand string makes the low "B" not floppy,i have a schecter elite 5 string 35" scale neck,i just put a set of Labella rockn' steels on it and the low B is ok? but i would like it to be "tighter" i tune standard 440, i seen posts on here that fodera makes a good set where the B is tight also DR, any info... which company should i buy? guage i want .045-.125 ,thnx in advance...
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    DR would be the string that comes to mind, but you shouldn't expect a huge difference. It is more likely the construction of that bass making the string floppy than it is the type of string.

You should experient though. You may be more comfortable with another brand. I would also suggest using something in the .130 range. That will also improve the feel if you are feeling floppy.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender - their B strings are a 130. I love Fender Strings, particlularly on my fivers.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In addition to Chasarms good info, think about it - strings with thicker cores and less wraps are going to feel less floppy.......you're trying to get a thicker, more resilient, piece of wire to vibrate.

DR states that their Lo-Riders are tighter than their Hi-Beams, so a set of those could feel better to you. Lo-Riders are made for slapping and popping, styles which can't tolerate a floppy string.

Just remember "gauge" has nothing to do with it. A thicker gauge can be achieved with many wrappings around thin core wire. Pyramid, a fine string, uses this design.

This could help but as Chas says, it really boils down to the bass design.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like D'Addario Slowounds.
  6. OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    I've been playing with warwick 5 string set for a while now - after i got them never tried anything else...

i know it's just me - cos i don't know enyone else who plays with them...(every real bassists are laughing) i detune to g so i hang quite low, but still these strings gives me really agressive bite... even my low-low-low a string sounds very powerfull.

they are not exactly heavy gauge set but still.

set is 40-130 red label - they're also cheap - u can afford to change the every then and now :)
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    me too