Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string budget contemplation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Sep 25, 2000.

1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    ok what do you guys think?
    should i get an Cort Curbow 5 string
    or an ibanez ATK 5?

i'm on a budget....what do you think is better for versitality? also...the curbow is made with luthite...and ebanol....do you think that's too boot-legged? the ATK is ash
    i'd say the curbow wins in looks!

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have a USATK4 and a Cort Curbow 4. Don't know if the Korean made ATK305 has the same electronics as the American version, but if it does, it is a much more versital instrument then the Cort Curbow. The Curbow sounds good, but difinetly high tech (not Cream or Gov't Mule), whereas the AKT (at least the US made version) can cover a ton of different sounds. Also, if comfort is a factor to you, the Curbow is much lighter if you are going to be standing up (ATK's are known to be heavy) but the Curbow is quite uncomfortable to play seated...again a thing where personal tastes and needs play a factor. Which is better? Both are quite good for the price range.

Steve

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had an ATK300, It is a great bass and Yes the electronics are the same as in the US Model. The difference is in the Neck and wood.
    The USATK has a PBC Tension Free desing Neck, and the body is more figured Us Northern Swamp Ash.
    Just that.

I have played the ATK305 and Found that the B string is flabby.
    Im getting a Cort Curbow Six String bass on Monday..
    I will give you a review as soon as I set it up and play it.
    :)

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Oh.. I forgot.. the neck of the ATK305 will likely warp in about 3 or 4 years.
    The curbow has a Synthetic Phenolic Resin called Ebonol, that "I think" will prevent extreme warping. I will see that on monday too.

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    WHY...do you think that the neck of the ATK will warp in 3, or 4 years?

6. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hmmm....ok we'll see
    what kinda tone does the curbow have generally?
    and which has better sustain?
    cuz i really want something that'll contrast my tiny Danelectro Longhorn reissue....need....BEEF

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The neck is mostly bad-selected soft maple, and MINE WARPED.
    :D

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Need BEEF???
    My ATK300 had a lot of BEEF, MEAT, BALLS, COJONES, whatever BIG sound and Tone description you want. It is HUGE!

9. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i guess i could always replace the neck with a warmoth or something....
    but the color isn't too great...that yellow amber stuff...how much does it cost to get a new finish on it somewhere down the line?

10. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I used the ATK305 as my primary instrument for the last couple of years. It's truly a workhorse and like someone else in this thread said, the sound is huge. What I like about this instrument is the even tone throughout the range. The weight has not been an issue but I had been playing a very heavy 70's P-bass previously. The neck width is wider than the SGR's so the spacing is less of an issue. I'd recommend the ATK. You get above average quality and sound for your bucks.

My two cents. Hope this helps in your decision.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The neck on the Cort Curbow is made of the same grade of maple as your ATK, the ebanol is what the FRETBOARD is made of, not the neck.

BTW - Ebanol is similar to what bowling balls are made of. It is a hard, temperature resistant plastic.

What I wonder is if the maple neck starts reacting to temperature and humidity changes, how will that affect the bond between the neck and fingerboard? There is a known problem with combining maple necks with ebony(a REAL wood! ;) )fingerboards, because both of these woods react very differently to humidity & temperature changes.

I have seen some expensive guitars with ebony fretboards where the board literally came loose from the maple neck in places, due to warpage.

This is longer than I intended, but the point I'm trying to make is that a synthetic board is not going to keep a wood neck from warping.

12. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    so uh....does anybody know anyplace online where icoudl get one?
    thanks a lot btw to all of you

13. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    You might also want to check out the Dean Edge 5 bass. I got mine new for $325, and with a 35" scale and EMG pu's, it's really a nice bass. The only problem I found was actually finding a local Dean dealer. Once I did, I took one home.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

How about Yamaha BBG5s? They are quite nice.

15. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If you can handle around $700, I'd really suggest that you look into a Reverend Rumblefish 5 with a gig bag. It's tone and playability are excellent compared to the others you mention.

LKaye

16. If you could come up with a little more scratch, I'd take a hard look at the MTD "Beast".

17. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    how's the slapping on that Rumblefish?
    how much would the Tobias be??

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm not a major slap happy type of guy, but what I do is very easy. The bass has a nice sound to it and I suspect you can get it to sound good slapping to. It's like a Jazz bass with more bottom and more low mids. The highs aren't killer brittle sounding.

I like the slap sound too but again I'm primarily a finger style player.

L

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

You can get used Warwicks for under 700. I have seen even
    a Thumb for that price.