Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string Choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Would you choose the Skyline 55-01

51 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Or the Tribute L-2500

39 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. Boy, after all the excitement of following the lost Fed-Ex/Sadowsky thread, this seems rather boring.
    I have 2 questions concerning 5-strings. How proficient a player do you need to be to get one? I've always played keyboards and only recently took up the bass (Fender Geddy) last December. I notice that many TBers play 5, 6, even 7 string so I'm thinking of adding a 5. Should I wait until I'm better on the instrument or since I'm learning anyway, start now.
    Second, I'm considering either a Tribute L-2500 or a Lakland Skyline 55-01. Any thoughts, opinions, advice, etc. concerning my questions. Thanks.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I found adapting from 4-5 to be almost totally effortless, while going from 5-6 to be a pain... apparently, the G string was a subconscious reference point for me. Your results may vary.

Between the Tribute 2500 and the Skyline 55-01, I'd say Lakland all the way. I think both basses are great values, but I was less than impressed with the tone of the TL2500 (deluxe) I played, and liked the 55-01 more (tho not nearly as much as my 55-02).

Hope this helps.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My only advice is to start playing the number of strings you want to play as soon as possible. The hard part is knowing how many strings you'll want to play.

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

?

5. Man I agree 100% on that statement. I've had a surprisingly difficult time transitioning from a 5 back down to a 4 as well.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've found that adding a High-C string is easy if it's a 5-string, but not 6. Going from 4 to 6 is extremely hard for most people as your reference points are lost. A 5 string is easier to go to since it just adds lower notes and gives you 2 octaves within one stretch.

Practice a lot once you get it and within a week or two, you should be totally comfortable.

-Eric.

7. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Agreeing on the above, except that I had a really hard time adopting to the 5-string (E was obviously a reference to me), whereas playing lots-a-strings isn't really a problem any more as long as the big one is B. I did try a 8-string with F#, and that was really mindwrecking.
    I think 5-strings are really neat, and 6-strings are even beter even if you're not a chord-playing chops-monster. Less shifting makes for relaxed sets :)

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    G&L for me too,they are easy to play and for this price you can doubt more expensive basses.

9. Thanks guys for the advice. It seems reasonable that going from 4 to 5 shouldn't be that difficult. I can't imagine going to a 7 string but I should think a 6 would be easier for converted guitar players. NEW QUESTION:
    I have found it difficult to find anyone local with an in-stock Lakland 55-01. So I wonder how everyone would compare a Spector Legend 5 to the Tribute. I know this one may be tough due to their different characteristics, but maybe not.
    Thanks

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you're still looking for the 55-01, you might try Steve "Dude" Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Co. Last I heard, he had just gotten a new shipment of basses:

The Dudepit

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I voted 55-01. This is a very high value instrument, even better used. I'm in a minority that don't care for MFD pickups. I'm spoiled by Lakland (graphite reinforced) necks, though you may not like the 35" scale. The soapbars on the 55-01 are supposed to be nice (haven't personal experience). Sure would be nice to sit down and A/B both, wouldn't it? Good luck in your search!
    Proficiency level? Don't worry, just give it a try. I didn't try 5 strings until I was 47. For now, that is my number :D

Ken