Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-String Choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El-Gato, Jan 14, 2003.

1. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    Right now my heart is set on the Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string. I played that along with a few other basses including Ibanez and Musicman but they didn't even compare. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other choices in that price range that I should try that aren't at musiciansfriend.com. I'm looking for basses with the same kind of tight feel where I can slap with ease but still get a nice deep tone. Thanks for any replies.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I would say try some of the spector Euros, but those are on musician's friend...heck, 95% of the major bass makers on that site, what more do you want? Are you looking for something less common, IE a Carvin or what? (disregard if I sound like a fool, haha)

3. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    haha no not at all, I mean by the musiciansfriend comment that once the price range gets up to about 1500 the custom basses and more hard to get ones come into play. I was just wondering if there are any that play like the corvette that I should try before commiting to the corvette.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Honestly if you like the tone and feel of the Corvette, I would say go with it, its a nice instrument. I have found that those who enjoy the "quirks" ,for lack of a better word, of Warwicks can't seem to find the same sound and feel in anything else short of custom basses.

5. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Get the corvette! I have a Standard fiver with ash body, and I love it! The growl that Warwick basses manages to get out is just unbelievable! You'll fall deeper and deeper in love with the bass the longer you own it.