1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5-String Choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El-Gato, Jan 14, 2003.

1. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    Right now my heart is set on the Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string. I played that along with a few other basses including Ibanez and Musicman but they didn't even compare. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other choices in that price range that I should try that aren't at musiciansfriend.com. I'm looking for basses with the same kind of tight feel where I can slap with ease but still get a nice deep tone. Thanks for any replies.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I would say try some of the spector Euros, but those are on musician's friend...heck, 95% of the major bass makers on that site, what more do you want? Are you looking for something less common, IE a Carvin or what? (disregard if I sound like a fool, haha)

3. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    haha no not at all, I mean by the musiciansfriend comment that once the price range gets up to about 1500 the custom basses and more hard to get ones come into play. I was just wondering if there are any that play like the corvette that I should try before commiting to the corvette.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Honestly if you like the tone and feel of the Corvette, I would say go with it, its a nice instrument. I have found that those who enjoy the "quirks" ,for lack of a better word, of Warwicks can't seem to find the same sound and feel in anything else short of custom basses.

5. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Get the corvette! I have a Standard fiver with ash body, and I love it! The growl that Warwick basses manages to get out is just unbelievable! You'll fall deeper and deeper in love with the bass the longer you own it.