Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string configurations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Feb 25, 2004.

1. I’ve been out of the bass world so long I always had assumed all 5 string basses added a high B like a guitar has, not a low B. Imagine my surprise when I went to the store to try one out and thought to myself “Hmm, the E string sure feels strange!”

Do any manufacturers make a 5 string bass where the first four strings are your normal E A D G and then the high B is added rather than the low B?

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I have never seen a 5 string in a store strung high instead of low. When I strung mine high, I went EADGC to keep the intervals all the same. I think most people do it this same way, but no reason you can't string a high B. Only solution I have seen is to buy a 6 string set and use the upper 5 strings. I have found out, though that I use the low B more than the high C string. May not play an open low B much, but I play a good bit of C-D#.

3. If I forgo the low B and go with the high c, will that affect the tension on the neck enough where it will have to be adjusted?

I was doing some home recording last night, and didn't find myself going to the low B at all.

It was my first night playing the 5 string though, so I guess it takes some getting used to.

Thanks for your reply!

George

4. You would probably be surprised as to how the useful the B string can be used not as an extended low end, but more for playing a low E at the fifth fret or helping to avoid annoying position shifts, which can be really helpful while reading or singing or doing anything that requires significant attention. There is also a lot of information on E-C tuned five strings as opposed to B-G, try a search and you'll find some no doubt.