1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string configurations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Feb 25, 2004.

1. I’ve been out of the bass world so long I always had assumed all 5 string basses added a high B like a guitar has, not a low B. Imagine my surprise when I went to the store to try one out and thought to myself “Hmm, the E string sure feels strange!”

Do any manufacturers make a 5 string bass where the first four strings are your normal E A D G and then the high B is added rather than the low B?

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I have never seen a 5 string in a store strung high instead of low. When I strung mine high, I went EADGC to keep the intervals all the same. I think most people do it this same way, but no reason you can't string a high B. Only solution I have seen is to buy a 6 string set and use the upper 5 strings. I have found out, though that I use the low B more than the high C string. May not play an open low B much, but I play a good bit of C-D#.

3. If I forgo the low B and go with the high c, will that affect the tension on the neck enough where it will have to be adjusted?

I was doing some home recording last night, and didn't find myself going to the low B at all.

It was my first night playing the 5 string though, so I guess it takes some getting used to.

Thanks for your reply!

George

4. You would probably be surprised as to how the useful the B string can be used not as an extended low end, but more for playing a low E at the fifth fret or helping to avoid annoying position shifts, which can be really helpful while reading or singing or doing anything that requires significant attention. There is also a lot of information on E-C tuned five strings as opposed to B-G, try a search and you'll find some no doubt.