5-string convert fail

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DeaconBlues09, Apr 21, 2016.

1. So I'm somewhat anal about tuning and will think nothing of spending 5 minutes ascertaining that each string is indeed in tune to the last Hz.

After a typical painstakingly drawn out tuning session, I put on some backing music and dig in. ****! It sounds weird instantly. I pluck each individual string, and find nothing remotely dissonant,. It takes a few seconds before I realize...the second string is tuned up to "A."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2016
    Mvilmany, dbase and TedH like this.
  2. It didn't take me long to learn that the big thick bottom string is there as a thumb rest... but try as I might, I CANNOT pick up a 4-string and play it anymore.

DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  3. Ever since I picked up a 5-er I have that same problem! :laugh:

4. First gig playin bass. Managed to tune a 4 string e a b e. (using a guitar non-chromatic tuner). Didn't notice for four songs when I actually needed those stings.

5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    At my age, I'm a virgin with a 5 string .... I keep hearing how good they are having that big 'ole B string for the lows, would love to take the plunge but haven't yet. I mean to say I suck at a 4 string, so a 5 wont make me any better, right? But that's on my bucket list. I'm thinking, if BassCliff can play a 5 string, maybe I can too. Was it hard to get used to playing or do you end up using that B string as a thumb rest. ;)

6. You can do it--there are no age restrictions to the 5-string club! :hyper::bassist::woot:

BTW, I couldn't tell from your post whether you are relatively young,or relatively old...Which is it, and what bearing do you think it has on the topic? (if you don't mind my asking, of course :))

7. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I'm a virgin to a 5 string, not the "Other" virgin. I'm 70, so that ain't it. My avatar doesn't do me justice, I'm much older looking. I want to trade one of my two basses in for a 5 string. I like the low notes. Trouble is getting the wife to approve (henpecked) Life is short, get my drift ;)

8. Hey, I'm about to turn 36, and I'm already feeling that life is too short!

I'll tell you this, if your the kind of guy that likes the feel of a sustained down-low bass note, that you feel more in your bowels, than hear with your ear, you absolutely need to procure a 5-string in order to have lived fully!

Tell the wife that it's a medical device you need to battle constipation, and that it loosens your bowels....'twould not be untrue! :laugh:

9. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I already have a device in my chest, so that wont work. I told her about getting a 5'r and she says "When you get more gigs, or a gig at all, then maybe we can talk about getting another bass" I'm glad she didn't say "We'll revisit the subject in about 5 years. ;) , I'm going to show her what you said.. it might just speed up the process. thanks ;)

S-Bigbottom and DeaconBlues09 like this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I play a 5 (and 6 string) bass because much country music these days uses the low B - for example Cole Swindell's - You Ain't Worth The Whiskey.
    Can't do it on a four stringer.. plus... I'm also lazy and have short fingers so I'll often play up-the-neck, so I have an arm left at the end of the night. :laugh:

The 6? Because string spacing is 17mm (vs 19mm) and are closer together. They are 35" scale too.

dbase likes this.
  11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    A 5-string is more about hand position than it is about five lower notes. If those five notes are all you see from a 5-string, then I imagine you’ll be disappointed, because it’s likely they will be used only rarely.

mech likes this.
  12. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014 Inactive

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I'm 54, play Blues/rock and I definitely don't need a 5 string.

A few years ago I quietly bought a used Yamaha BBN5. To my surprise playing a five string with its wider neck wasn't a big learning curve.

For me, with a five string playing in a box pattern is easier. After about six months of playing a five string at home I brought it with me to group. The other 50 plus year old dogs I jam with were immediately skeptical. Just after a guitar solo I started playing my Yamaha BBN5 as a five string.

Meaning the uptempo Chicago styled Blues shuffle I was playing in open E got transposed to E on the 5th Fret of the B string. Yes they noticed my shift from four to five strings and didn't care because the groove was still there.

Now I also have a Fender AS P5 as well as my BBN5.

For me, it doesn't matter if my Bass has two or ten strings as long as I can deliver the proper groove.

Garret Graves likes this.
  13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    A Five has its place but anyone that says they cant play a four anymore is just full of it. I switched back and forth between the two without any problem at all, its not that hard .... really. That's just silly talk

Garret Graves likes this.
  14. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I would guess everyone feels it differently, but I prefer by a large margin a wide spaced five to a narrow one.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I do prefer .18 or .19 mm over a .17mm , the tighter spacing starts to feel like a guitar

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021