Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string DB's

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chef, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Is there such a thing as a 5 string DB with a low B? If so, do they sound good? I'm a slab player that wants to play upright, but I can't imagine life without a low B...:)

2. Yes, they exist, but the are much rarer than 5 string slabs.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Lemur, you're right next door to me, I live in Columbia...Is a 5 string DB neck a ginat fistful, ie super wide? Can the 5th string sound good without amplification? I've seen (all hail) Bob Gollihur sells them new for $2300, anyone ever play one of these?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

I'm GASing hard on this one from Bob G.

http://www.urbbob.com/doublebass.html

I've not played one (though my opinion wouldn't matter because I've only ever played a 50's Kay... for a short time at that)

5. How about that! We are right by each other. I don't know how unweildy they are, since I've never played one. I expect not too much, no more than a six string bass guitar.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hehe....

7. This is all SO silly!! I played my 5 stringer the first night I brought it home. It's not huge and you don't need to become some kind of freak to play one! See my Bohmann under Basses/The TalkBasses. Sponsored by John Sprague and Shen.
    Mingus, what does a D neck have to do with anything?

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Paul couldn't find it in a search, can you locate the thread, pics? What kind of music do you use your for, and what kind is it? Like it lots? I've seen that Bob Gollihur sells Czech 5's...?

9. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Yup, I've got one...NIce bass.

11. No, I was serious. I don't find six string BGs to be unweildy. :smug:

12. Thanks Sam! Chef, it's American, made in Chicago by a nutty Luthier named Joseph Bohmann, in 1888. It was tied up in his estate and i'm the first owner/player! I do love it! I'm a jazz bassist. The low B rings like a MF!

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You want unwieldy, try playing a guitarron. Like trying to wrestle a greased warthog.

14. Well, I've never played one, but I wrestle greased 'hogs all the time, so I get what you mean.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eek: LORDY!!! It helps y'all can play that thing like a MF as well :smug:

I'm gonna go crawl back up to BG land and weep

16. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    1888? No wonder it looks so GOTH. I mean if you painted it black and put on some black mascara... mmmm very scary - not that I would do such a thing.

In any case... have you ever thought your bass looks a little 'sinister' Paul? :)

17. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    my bass teacher has a (he thinks german) bass that is now a five string, originally a four.

it looks sweet, sounds excellent, and the b string has all kinds of sustain, cant really say how powerful the b is, i just know it sounds awesome to my ears.

its set up between jazz and orchestra, kinda more towards a jazz setup and he says the g string(and sometimes the d string) can easily be overpowered with the bow so he plays up and down on the lower strings, just tells the orchestra guys to play as he says not he does...... :eyebrow:

warburton, your bass is so beautiful!!!

18. Thanks, but come back my dear!

19. People have told me that....but i'm a little that way myself.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wow, that could be a thread all by itself.

The one time I got to play a guitarron, I was thoroughly trounced by its owner, an lovely elderly Mexican lady, about 4'8", who laughed heartily while the Big Bad Jazz Bassist tried to coax anything remotely resembling music out of the beast.