5-string dilemma...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EsTeBan, Dec 15, 2001.

1. EsTeBan

EsTeBan

Dec 15, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    I'm going to buy my first 5-string bass soon, and I need your opinions.

I choosing between:

1.Lakland SkylineSeries (55-01) for $749
    2. Spector NS2000/5 necktrough for $749
    3. MTD Heir 5-string for $639

The problem is that I live in Puerto Rico, and no store around here sell these brands, so I can't try them. I need your opinions and your knowedge.

I play mainly rock, latin rock, pop, ska and reggae. I wan't a bass that is well constructed, has a good sound and is versatile.

Any help is apreciated...

2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I don't think too many people have had the chance to play a Skyline yet since they've just shipped out, but I expect we'll see some reviews pretty soon.

I haven't played the Heir, but I have the Kingston, and I thought it was incredible for its price. Too incredible actually, but the Heir should be even better with two pickups, eh?

3. ive played the 5 string heir and its sweet. the necks on these new imports completely amazes me. before you would pick up a korean made bass and the neck would feel flimsy. now with the mtd budget basses you can have a rigid feeling neck with a low price. good b string too.

4. The NS2000/5 is a good bass, very comfortable, good range of tones, and a pretty decent B string.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hey EsTeBan - I can't comment on options 1 and 3, but as far as the Spector goes I can say few words!

I recently picked up a Spector REX2000/5 - essentially the same as the NS2000/5, same neck, same electrics and pups, different body style. My experience of this has made me feel very confident about the Korean made Spector (I already have a Czech 5 string Spector). Like you I didn't get a chance to try before I bought, but already having a Spector I didn't think I could go wrong!

The neck is great, very playable. The pickups are really good - EMG Hz pickups. I mostly play (heavyish) rock and the sound is great!!! The feel of the neck is real good and the B string is nice and tight. The REX has a different body shape to the one you're looking at - but the Czech one is similar, so I can honestly say it's a very comfortable bass to play. Oh yeah, my REX2000/5 cost me £665(which I guess is about $950?) so If you're getting ti for $749 you're getting a better deal than us Scotsmen!!!

Hope this helps you a bit!!! Hope you can get more info on your other choices too!!! Happy hunting!!!