Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string dilemma...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EsTeBan, Dec 15, 2001.

1. EsTeBan

EsTeBan

Dec 15, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    I'm going to buy my first 5-string bass soon, and I need your opinions.

I choosing between:

1.Lakland SkylineSeries (55-01) for $749
    2. Spector NS2000/5 necktrough for $749
    3. MTD Heir 5-string for $639

The problem is that I live in Puerto Rico, and no store around here sell these brands, so I can't try them. I need your opinions and your knowedge.

I play mainly rock, latin rock, pop, ska and reggae. I wan't a bass that is well constructed, has a good sound and is versatile.

Any help is apreciated...

2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I don't think too many people have had the chance to play a Skyline yet since they've just shipped out, but I expect we'll see some reviews pretty soon.

I haven't played the Heir, but I have the Kingston, and I thought it was incredible for its price. Too incredible actually, but the Heir should be even better with two pickups, eh?

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive played the 5 string heir and its sweet. the necks on these new imports completely amazes me. before you would pick up a korean made bass and the neck would feel flimsy. now with the mtd budget basses you can have a rigid feeling neck with a low price. good b string too.

4. The NS2000/5 is a good bass, very comfortable, good range of tones, and a pretty decent B string.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hey EsTeBan - I can't comment on options 1 and 3, but as far as the Spector goes I can say few words!

I recently picked up a Spector REX2000/5 - essentially the same as the NS2000/5, same neck, same electrics and pups, different body style. My experience of this has made me feel very confident about the Korean made Spector (I already have a Czech 5 string Spector). Like you I didn't get a chance to try before I bought, but already having a Spector I didn't think I could go wrong!

The neck is great, very playable. The pickups are really good - EMG Hz pickups. I mostly play (heavyish) rock and the sound is great!!! The feel of the neck is real good and the B string is nice and tight. The REX has a different body shape to the one you're looking at - but the Czech one is similar, so I can honestly say it's a very comfortable bass to play. Oh yeah, my REX2000/5 cost me £665(which I guess is about $950?) so If you're getting ti for $749 you're getting a better deal than us Scotsmen!!!

Hope this helps you a bit!!! Hope you can get more info on your other choices too!!! Happy hunting!!!