Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string drop D tuning ADADG?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 20, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I read a thread stating a 5 string player tunes to ADADG to help out with drop D tuning on a 5 string. How is this bennifical, or playable? Is it possible to play standard tuned songs this way?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does it work? Yeah. I played ADGCF (whole thing down one step) and it's not any more or less playable than before. Raise the action a bit, and you're set. Works well when your 5 string has a good B string to begin with. Other than that, you just have to use a slightly lighter touch, and it should play and sound fine. Just...lower.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    He might be talking about my old thread.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The disadvantage is that things you are used to playing in normal tuning will require a little bit of relearning, due to the notes on the B and E strings being moved up the neck a whole step.

There are two advantages. The first is if your guitarist plays a lot of riffs that use the open D in a drop D tuning, or the open A in a drop A tuning(on a 7 string), this will make them easier to play. The second advantage is that with the ADAD strings, you have a pair of octaves always at your fingertips. Of course, I am so used to playing octaves in normal tuning, that I don't see any real benefit.

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you tune ADGCF (BEADG tuned down whole step), it is easy to convert standard tuned 4 string tunes (EADG).
    Just play the song the same way you would on the 3 higher strings (ADG) moving it over a string for the lower tuned Bass (ADGCF).
    The only notes you would have to play differently are the ones you formerly played on the E string, and then you are just moving those up 2 frets on the 2nd (D) string.
    I use heavier strings when using this tuning with a .145 A string. Single strings can be purchased from www.juststrings.com including .145, .140 and .135 Ken Smith strings (to use as a heavier B than a standard 5 string set for better tension when tuning to A).
    http://www.juststrings.com/stainlesssteelkensmithbassguitarsinglestrings.html