1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string (E-C) Flats Needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NoisemakerD-Lux, Feb 9, 2005.

1. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a specific set of flats for a 5-string fretless, strung E to C. The strings I am * very much in love with * for my fretted basses are La Bella Slappers (29-40-60-80-100 on the 5's). What I'm basically looking for are a "flat" equivalent of those, as far as gauge and tension go.

More info:

DRs are much too tight for me. Not a fan.

TIs are a too thin, too light, and too soft sounding. Incredible strings to be sure, just... not for me.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can try? The only strings that I have on my list right now are the D'Addario Half-Rounds, since they come in those gauges (30-40-60-80-100). D'Addario Chromes seem to only go down to 40... is there a high C for those that I don't know about?

I suppose I can go somewhat looser (definitely not tighter), as far as the tension, but it's very important for me to retain the 40-60-80-100 gauges.

Any help will be appreciated,

ND

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've talked with a Sales Rep before, and Chromes do indeed come in 6 string sets, and thus a high C. If you think DR's are too tight don't even THINK about trying chromes! Chromes the highest tension strings I have ever used and make my lo-riders feel loose! They are as stiff as TI's are soft. I find it somewhat funny that the two strings I use (DR and TI) for fretless and fretted in E-C are the ones you specified not liking...

3. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Thanks for the warning on the Chromes! I had DRs installed on a bass for a few weeks and it was a nightmare. I've played for 20 years so it's not a hand strenght issue..... I just have a very soft touch when I play and I like to be able to gently put my finger on the string to have it sounded (super low action a must, of course). Plus, I do a lot of string bending and a whole lot of tricks, so the tension can't be high.

I had the Jazz TIs installed on another bass for a few weeks and at first I marvelled at them, but in the end the transition from a typical tension was a bit too much for me. They are so extremely soft that I felt like I was playing guitar... and I don't like playing guitar. I also couldn't get used to the w e i r d gauges. The quality of those strings is top-notch, however. The silky smooth feel and the warm mellow sound are wonderful.

I find it really hard finding the strings I want for a fretless. The flats I see are either too fat or come in weird tensions or they don't come in high Cs or Fs (for a 7).

As far as our individual preferences, well, if we all liked the same things we'd be "robots". ;)