Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string (E-C) Flats Needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NoisemakerD-Lux, Feb 9, 2005.

1. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a specific set of flats for a 5-string fretless, strung E to C. The strings I am * very much in love with * for my fretted basses are La Bella Slappers (29-40-60-80-100 on the 5's). What I'm basically looking for are a "flat" equivalent of those, as far as gauge and tension go.

More info:

DRs are much too tight for me. Not a fan.

TIs are a too thin, too light, and too soft sounding. Incredible strings to be sure, just... not for me.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can try? The only strings that I have on my list right now are the D'Addario Half-Rounds, since they come in those gauges (30-40-60-80-100). D'Addario Chromes seem to only go down to 40... is there a high C for those that I don't know about?

I suppose I can go somewhat looser (definitely not tighter), as far as the tension, but it's very important for me to retain the 40-60-80-100 gauges.

Any help will be appreciated,

ND

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've talked with a Sales Rep before, and Chromes do indeed come in 6 string sets, and thus a high C. If you think DR's are too tight don't even THINK about trying chromes! Chromes the highest tension strings I have ever used and make my lo-riders feel loose! They are as stiff as TI's are soft. I find it somewhat funny that the two strings I use (DR and TI) for fretless and fretted in E-C are the ones you specified not liking...

3. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Thanks for the warning on the Chromes! I had DRs installed on a bass for a few weeks and it was a nightmare. I've played for 20 years so it's not a hand strenght issue..... I just have a very soft touch when I play and I like to be able to gently put my finger on the string to have it sounded (super low action a must, of course). Plus, I do a lot of string bending and a whole lot of tricks, so the tension can't be high.

I had the Jazz TIs installed on another bass for a few weeks and at first I marvelled at them, but in the end the transition from a typical tension was a bit too much for me. They are so extremely soft that I felt like I was playing guitar... and I don't like playing guitar. I also couldn't get used to the w e i r d gauges. The quality of those strings is top-notch, however. The silky smooth feel and the warm mellow sound are wonderful.

I find it really hard finding the strings I want for a fretless. The flats I see are either too fat or come in weird tensions or they don't come in high Cs or Fs (for a 7).

As far as our individual preferences, well, if we all liked the same things we'd be "robots". ;)