1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-String EADGC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain_Arrrg, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I've recently strung my Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless 5 EADGC. This was mostly because it didn't play well with the B- lots of buzz, muddy tone and it didn't really fit. The C though, IMO, gives a lot more acoustic flavor (I also switched from chromes to Tru Bass 88, which also improved the projection).

My question is how may of you, if any, string/have strung you're 5/'s in this way.

Also, where did the standard of BEADG for 5 string basses come about? My guess is that the extra low notes are more useful (on bass at least) than the high ones.

2. Hey man! Post a sound file of that? I'm about to pick up the custom club 5 fretted (this will be number 2 as the 1st one I bought from GC I had to return owing to as the elecs didn't work).. Also, another poster said he was using La Bella half rounds on his... you have any experience with those?

3. bassman312

bassman312

Oct 19, 2006
    Any one know if you have to change the nut to string it EADGC ? thanks

4. fake-bass

fake-bass

Oct 17, 2006
    Hobart
    I didnt change the nut on my 5 string rock bass when i had it tuned like that.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I had my 5er tuned like that for a while, couldn't stop myself playing melodic stuff with it, really cool, I didn't change the nut either.

6. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    I have my fretless BBCustom 5:er stringed E-C.. 30-100 dr hi-beams..

Just got it back from an extreem makeover.. the nut is changed to a larger custom made ebony nut to acomodate the thin strings.. a joy to play... I never liked B-strings and always use a D-tuner or an octaver for what I need below E..

7. changed mine to the high C the first week I bought mine and havent looked back since
    great for playing chords and melodic playing
    did not change the nut....

8. i tuned my 5 string that way, popped my darn b-string.

9. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    I went EADGC on my Godin A5 and really liked it that way. The concept of riffing on the high notes became much expanded and 5th/chord possibilities also became a new experience. Didn't do anything with the nut. You can always do the bone powder and superglue thing if necessary.

10. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    No I didn't change the nut, but it barely could accommodate a b string.

As for the fretted club I would try a phosphor strings over half rounds unless you're trying for a fatter sound. Either way I don't have much experience with them.

I would post a clip but I lack the means to do so currently. But I will say that fretless and a C string let the Primus just flow forth.

11. lebrett

lebrett

Mar 14, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    My fretless is also strung this way. Since I go much more with melody on the fretless it makes sense. A pleasure to play that way.

2378149805_37c1a66efa_b.

12. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    im thinking about tuning mine that way soon as well
    i may be wrong but i believe the first five string (by fender) was tuned EADGC and it was so bassists wouldnt have to climb up the neck.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 Me too...can't stop raving about this EADGC bass!

stealth_valenti_016.

14. ^ That bass is screaming for tapewounds ;)

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Yes, and I even have 2 sets ready, but I just love the current set up with TI flats (from a 6-string set). Having played a '71 fretless P-bass for a long time, and being an early adopter (1999) of TI Jazz Flats, I have succumbed to their sound on fretless...:help:

I need to do it, the black tapewound strings are just sitting in a box with all my spare string sets...:oops:

16. That's probably the idea. Guitars can cover the range of a C-string, so what is a bass but to go lower.

17. Yah, I think what you're saying is that you tried to tune your FAT B string to E, right? That's why she popped.

I knew after a few weeks that the B string just wasn't gonna do it for me. I bought a MIM Fender Jazz 5 and the B is just underwhelming. I play alot of chords in some of our spacey stuff and so I figured it would expand my range.

I asked my luthier about doing this and he said go for it and "no bridge work required". I don't remember asking him about the action though....

I was going to sell the bass for another but got a slight crack from one of the tuner screws -- so much for selling it.

So cool, I'm gonna do it.

out,

Monk

18. RandomHandle

RandomHandle

Mar 25, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    yep.
    it retained the 34" scale length and had less frets .
    i think.

i tuned my 5 this way when i had it for the same reasons others have noted. best guess on the b string "standard" is likely related to "heavy" music and associated 7 string guitars.

i had one guitarist get weird when i showed up with 5 tuned hi C ,
    because after all, HE tunes that string to a B so i HAD to tune my bass GUITAR to a b too !
    :rolleyes: ;)

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    i dunno.. frettless on the C string sounds pretty thin to me...

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A lot of country uses root/fifth with the fifth below the root. You also quite often want to play as low down the neck as possible since the acoustic guitars all probably have the bass cranked and when you move up the octave you get buried.

This works great for C, D, but not so well for G, A, and sometimes E. So having the B string allows you keep the root/fifth down in G and A (for example).

It also gives you more leeway when the singer changes the key of the song. And they *always* change the key.