Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String EUB???

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jokerjkny, May 21, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I'm thinking of getting a nice EUB, either Azola Scarab or BSX Allegro.

but recently i've gone 5 string with my Elrick, and now wonder if i should go similarly with my EUB.

does anyone use or has anyone played one in such a form? how does it feel? sound? play? worth it?

would having that 5th string make playing it any harder since the action has to be so high for that thump?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Teh string spacing is usually a little tighter to fit the 5 strings, but coming from Slab you shouldn't be bothered by that at all. String height shouldn't have to be any different.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have an Azola 5. The action is very nice, a bit lower than my double bass. String spacing is no problem, about the same as some DBs, but just a hair closer than mine. The B string is very warm and focused, and can be pretty startling to people who aren't used to hearing upright sounds that low in frequency. Arco can be positively frightening, in a good way. About the only downside that I can see is the expense for the extra string; worth the extra $$ IMHO. BTW, your Elrick looks very nice; are you on a shopping spree?;)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys!

sorta. i just picked up bass earlier this year and the bug has caused me to ebay alot of my g***** gear, and spring for new bass gear.

one more question. its about the neck cause i wanna be careful with my wrist. and i have relatively small hands.

how's the neck on your azola? is it much wider than a regular 4, or the same? was fingering difficult? did you have to lower the action alot to compensate? did doing so, did that ruin the whole DB-ishness of the EUB? i'm thinking about getting an Azola Scarab 5 or possibly 4, if its too much for my poor hand to take.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The neck is very nice; It has the ebony fingerboard, which is spectacular. The scale is just a bit shorter and narrower than my DB, and very playable. I haven't changed the action at all; it's quite low, but it's easy to change it if you want to, with the tilt action of the neck. Obviously acoustic response isn't an issue, so I keep it pretty low. Fingering is the same as DB. I think the "DB-ishness" is due in large part to the fact that it's a floating top model; I've played the standard one and it's much more slablike IMHO. It's never going to be a DB, but it's a nice bass that I enjoy very much. Bottom line is it sounds great, and it's wonderful for touring.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sorry to keep buggin' you Marcus,

but how's the width compare to your DB? is it the same thickness or width? or more? have you played a 4 string Azola? is it much wider than a regular 4 string Bugbass??

thanks for all your help marcus!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought a 5 string EUB recently - Ned Steinberger CR5 and realy like it - I play 5 string Bass Guitar as well.

I tried both 4 and 5 string versions for a few hours in the shop before deciding and found little difference - in fact the string spacing on the 4s felt too wide for me - redundantly so!

I like the B for the occasional earth-shaking note - the low D is awesome! But I actually find that I don't use the B string as much as I do on BG, where I use it for more of a "DB sound" starting lines high up on the B, maybe with palm muting and thumb.

I am beginning to think the B is in the way a bit as well - the piezo really picks up any "noise" from the B string and I find my R/H thumb is often brushing this and adding unnecessary scraping noises.

This is probably more to do with my poor technique though and avoidable - I think that the B is worth having but limited. I don't think the action has to be set high - well it isn't on my NS CR5 anyway.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think the best thing for you would be to get your hands on whichever instruments you're considering and play them for awhile. Bear in mind that playing any fretless upright instrument requires a whole new set of techniques and disciplines that are best learned from a qualified DB teacher. It's hard to predict an individual's response to any given instrument on the web. To someone who is primarily an electric bassist, the Bugbass may seem huge; to me, it actually feels a bit spindly, because I'm accustomed to the larger dimensions of the DB's neck. But comparing all my acoustic and electric basses is futile; they are what they are and I choose them according to the musical needs of any given day. Just try to get into the city and play some basses. The fifth string shouldn't be a problem, after all, it's in the same place as the the E string would be. I'm 5',7", with "medium" size hands, and I get around okay on it.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would second that - no substitute for actually trying the things out! I dithered and asked people on here and in real life for opinions, for about 2 years ; but until I actually tried a few basses I had no idea what was suitable - or rather playable.

So - I tried some beginner DBs and the EUBs and found that while I could actually play the latter and make music, I found that the DBs felt really "alien" and I couldn't do anything with them! :(

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're new to the world of double bass, the thickness of the neck (back to front) will throw you more than its width.

11. Bass_Cadet

Bass_Cadet Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I have a Carruther's 5 string with a high C. This is definitely my preferred configuration. [I also have 5 string slabs: a fretted with a low B and a fretless with a high C. I have to admit it takes a little adjustment going between the low B and the high C but it's worthwhile.]

I don't really have much problems going between the EUB and the 2XB (3/4 size) since the bottom E string is the same. The spacing on the EUB is good; the fingerboard is OK but feels a little different.

I haven't tried a low B upright bass.