1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String Face Off: String ray with 2 humbuckers Vs. Warwick Streamer Jazzman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Natey Dread, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Anyone have any input as to the differences, pros or cons to both? Im caught between which two to buy, and no stores around are carrying either of them in stock. Im not about o put a deposit on a bass i might not even want. So, lemme know about anything. Cost, sound, playability, anything!

2. jokerk874

jokerk874

Feb 27, 2006
    I've actually never played a Warwick Streamer, but I have played a musicman sting ray. The string ray sounds amazing plugged but I can't compare it to the warwick cause i've never played one.

HOWEVER, for looks - I'd definately have to go with the warwick

3. Bassopotamus

Bassopotamus Guest

Mar 22, 2006
    Ocean Springs MS
    ive always been a big fan of stingrays, and the five string just makes it better, i realy like warwicks too but on 5 string, stingray has a better feel and when slappin a better sound

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    This might sound weird, but try to play these basses first. i understand that no local shops stock them, but take a drive or something to a place that does. its not a small amount of money that you are going to spend, and i can't watch you spend it on basses you haven't played without atleast feeling partially responsible in an insignificant way about your purchase possibly turning into a sour experience.:)

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Warwicks and Stingrays are two different types of bass. If you have played either and liked it, then that is the bass you should get.

6. I own a Warwick Thumb Bolt On 4 string right now. Ive played many a 4 string Sting Ray, but never a five. My biggest concern is which one will have the better low B sound.
    I really like that the Warwick has 24 frets. But other than that, I think theyre pretty evenly stacked as far as features, and cosmetics. I just have no clue what the Streamer Jazzman sounds like, or what the Sting Ray 5 with 2 buckers will sound like. Id take the drive if I drove. I wonder if I can find them both in one store in TO...

7. This may not be a help, but I couldn't decide either - that's why I've just got a Streamer Jazzman and now I'm saving up for a SR5!

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I just recently traded a SR5 for a Jazzman 5. I'm sure that the double p/u SR5 will offer a lot more sounds than the single p/u but IMO the Jazzman 5 has a lot more usefull sounds than the SR5. I really like the overall tone of the Jazzman 5. Maybe it's the brass frets, maybe it's the ovangkol/wenge neck but the jazzman has a great phat and warm sound (typicall Warwick). The SR5 is a bit harsh sounding. It cut through the mix great and had great bottom but IMO the highs just sounded a bit harsh.
    I prefer the feel of the SR5 neck over the Jazzman but I didn't like the G string being so close to the edge of the fingerboard. I could have cut a new nut but unfortunately the SR5 bridge saddles don't allow for side-to-side adjustments so even with a new nut, the G string would still gravitate toward the edge of the fingerboard as it traveled toward the bridge. Once I got use to the Jazzman neck though, I really like it. Just bit thicker than I prefer.
    Also, based on the pictures of the double p/u SR5 that I've seen, the front p/u sure seems close to the finger board. That might get in the way a bit, depending on your slap/pop style. Just a few observations.

9. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i personaly think the construction and hardware on warwicks are better than on music mans(men?). the streamer jazzman is a great bass with a ton of versatility. i'd go with the wick, but both basses do feel extremely different to me. you might like the mm more than the wick. like ras183 said, you should try to play them first and then decide.

10. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    This thread is like a week old, and Figjam hasn't posted yet? Is he dead?

I'd go with the Stingray, but I do prefer the musicman sound.

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    that, or buy used, so that you won't lose much money if you don't like it.

plenty of used SRs and 'wicks round here.

12. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I own a Streamer Jazzman, but never had an opportunity to play a dual humbucker Stingray. Over the years, I have played several single humbucker Stingrays, and presently have one on order.

Therefore, I can provide you my overall opinion based on both basses with bridge pickup soloed. The Streamer Jazzman has a very modern, growly and focused sound. It has a wide range of tonal possibilities. The Stingray has more of an old school vibe, but is capable of modern tones as well. The range of tonal possibilities are not as varied, however. Both basses sound pretty aggressive.

In terms of quality, the Streamer Jazzman is a far better bass, but it is, also, a few hundred dollars more expensive in USA.

You may wish to consider the Corvette FNA Jazzman 5 as well. It has the same electronics and pickup configuration as the Streamer Jazzman, but with the Corvette body design. The cost difference is fairly substantial.

Ted