5 string fender jazz bass..standard or active deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billybo, May 11, 2003.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i am about to purchase a fender jazz bass 5 string..i have a fender p bass now 4 string..it will be my first 5 string bass...should i get the standard version or the active...some say the active is better but it cost 150 more.....what is the difference and is there a clear distinct difference between the two...?
  2. well in the active one, you could boost the highs and lows. which gives you a little bit more flexability. but to me they both sound good. I guess if you don't mind changing batteries, then go for the active.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It totally depends on what you are looking for in the bass you will buy. The active bass will be more hi fi and the passive bass more vintage. I own a four string version of the active jazz (MIA & MIM) which give you more tonal possibilities compared to the passive, but that does'nt make it better. Try both and see which is for your needs.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive owned both the MIM passive and the active MIM Deluxe, and imo the MIM Deluxe was a much nicer sounding Bass.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've gone years with out changing the batteriy on my main active basses, so that's really not an issue. Also, the Deluxe has a Cut /Boost on the trebble, bass & midrange. I agree with Mike N, I've played alot of the MIM Deluxe basses & they sound alot nice then the MIM Standard.