5 string Fender Jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 18, 2005.

1. I would like one of these instruments.

But, to the best of my knowledge Fender do not make such a bass unless you have a Custom Shop instrument. In UK, such a beast costs around £2600 which is a lot of money.

The alternative is to buy a (in my case, USA DLX) 5 string Jazz, have the board removed and replaced with plain Maple, Rosewood, etc. All done over here, that could be done for around the RRP of the new bass, all in.

Thing is, the concept does not seen very wise. But it might be the only cost effective solution.

Wonder if there are thoughts on that?

2. If I were you I would try warmoth out, I have a deluxe fiver as do a couple of people on this board. Great instrument depending on who puts it together (you can do it yourself if you have patience, an eye for detail, and some understanding of power tools). Also your options increase in regard to hardware, wood, finish options, electronics etc. My last option would be buying a bass and defretting, it's like buying BMW and ripping the top off so you can have a convertible.
  3. Yeh. Thanks. Unfortunately, nowadays, DIY stuff is completely out.

4. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    (there ya go Nino advertising,you can pay me back with a Bass! :p )
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you have a good luthier nearby, they may be able to assemble the bass for you from parts bought from Warmouth, Stew-Mac, or elsewhere. That can yield a fantastic "semi-custom" instrument.
  6. Seconding Nino for this task.
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Maybe consider a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 fretless?
  8. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Exactly the bass on my mind:) ... Well birthday comin up and I talked my girlfriend into an Sx 5 string fretless... it will have to do :) Back to post I also want to put in a word for Nino im gonna give him a call on my next jazz.