Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by youlikemen, Dec 28, 2003.

1. youlikemen

youlikemen

Dec 28, 2003
    ok in about a month or two im going to get a job and save my money for a 5 string so i was wondering if this bass is worth it

2. youlikemen

youlikemen

Dec 28, 2003
    anyone?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From what ive heard, the B strings on Fender 5's tend to be muddy. ie: bad.

4. youlikemen

youlikemen

Dec 28, 2003
    well what else can u recommend that is around that price range

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't get me wrong, Ive talked to people that have found Fenders wit great B strings, but the majority ive played were sub-great. Around that price range i would check out the Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5 string.

6. Blowing $500 on a 5 string made in mexico fender jazz is a bad idea unless you plan to string it tenor (EADGC instead of BEADG). I've got the 4 string model, and i got it for much cheaper back in 2000 ($299) and I'll say this, I would not pay over $400 for a mexi fender. Overpriced!

Some good basses you could look at are some used Lakland Skylines, Tobias "Toby Pro" series basses (musicyo.com), Schecter Stilleto Elites, MTD Kingstons, Peavey Grind basses, Used Ibanez BTB's, just to name afew basses that are great for the money you pay for them. All I listed are less than $600, I own the Schecter and the Toby Pro (in a 6 string) that I listed. Great basses that far surpass a MIM fender jazz 5 string. Now MIM fender jazz basses aren't bad basses, but their 5 strings lack. Someone's bound to mention some SX or BRICE basses from http://www.rondomusic.com, and they'd probably be same quality if not better than the bass you're looking at, but I say you've got $500 ish, don't buy a cheap 5 string. Good luck.:)

7. Save up $800 and buy a used Stingray 5. I own a 2002 Fender American Jazz 5 and the B is beautiful, set up has a lot to do with it. Remember, single coil pickups hum when used alone, that's why I'm currently saving up for my own Stingray 5. I love J-bass tone and am keeping the Fender though.

8. youlikemen

youlikemen

Dec 28, 2003
    the only problem is that i really like the look of the fender jazz thats why i wanna get that one i dont really like all those other basses

9. Well then....I'm not going to talk you out of a Fender, I love them. Try Ebay, use your judgement but I bought mine off there from somebody in Texas for $750. Try to go for the American series, the extra $$ make them worth it, such as the string thru bridge, better tuning machines, etc. Just the overall fit and finish is better. I have seen them for as low as $600 but not everyone is comfortable spending that kind of cash for an instrument they haven't actually played. Some guys will tell you the Mexi's are "just as good" but they always seem to be trying to convince themselves rather than me. If they're just as good why are they half the price? I hear a huge difference, but maybe I'm crazy. Have you ever played a 5? Some guys feel the "b" gets in the way (Not me) If you plan on rock or funk, consider a 4 string, such as the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass( The only import I would recommend). Super sweet looking, and comes with a Badass bridge.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Then what exactly is your question if you already know the answer? Sadly, if you want a Jazz-style bass with a supremo B string, you're looking at bigger bucks.

I too reccomened the Stingray 5.

I think it's purdy, but besides that, looks mean nothing. Substance over style, my friend.

11. Amen......

12. youlikemen

youlikemen

Dec 28, 2003
    its not just the look i guess its also the feel its just im really used to my 4 string jazz so i was wondering if it would be better to have a 5 string

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'd say if you are interested in a Fender Jazz V go out and play several until you find one you like. I have two MIA Fender Jazz V's and neither have a "muddy" B string. I've played mim's that were great but you may have to look a litle harder. My band hosted an open mic night gig for the last month and a half. The last bass player that played my MIA Jazz V offered me $700 cash for it when he handed it back to me. No Sale

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    A 4 string jazz is going to feel completely different than a 5 string jazz, or 5 string anything. A lot of people, present company included, will tell you that the stingray 5 is one of the best feeling, most comfortable 5'ers on the market. Killer tone as well, if that is a factor in your buying decision. I've got one on my shopping list as well, it will be the third SR5 I've owned to date.

15. Tim.......you said it all. :)