Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string Fender MIA deluxe.....Slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Mar 11, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have found a really nice Fender American 5 string Deluxe Jazz bass, Swamp Ash body with a Maple Fingerboard.
    I've got the cash, and I am thinking about picking it up on Wednesday.

Do any of you guys have any experience with these basses? I am starting to play a lot of Funk and Fusion. The BTB just doesn't cut it for slap. How do these basses sound(I know what it sounds like....but as compared to other basses)? I would be interested in the "acoustic sound".

I have heard the electronics aren't the greatest. If I do pick it up, I was going to throw an Aguilar pre amp in it. Vol/Vol/Treble/Bass configuration. Any impressions on the noisless pickups? Thanks a ton! :) :)

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Are you talking about a Jazz bass? I don't know if P basses have noiseless pickups.

As far as planning on an electronics swap based on what you've heard, personally I think that's a bad idea. Play the bass, listen to it objectively... and then decide.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Your talking about the jazz bass right?

I play an MIA Dlx Jazz, and it gets great slap tones IMO. Its also IMO/IME one of the most versatile basses around. You can obtain many different tones from it if you experiment a bit.

The electronics in them arent that bad either IMO. The bass gets more than enough low end, very crisp highs, and enough mids to cut thru a piece of granite. I wouldnt swap them out for the Aguilar preamp. After all when you buy a bass you buy it because you like that basses particular tone right? Besides that, you may find you dont like the way the Aguilar sounds in it.

The noiseless pickups arent all that bad, but I think as do quite a few others here that the pickups they used before the noiseless. US DLX i think they are called, were a bit hotter and imo just as quiet.

Play the bass for at least an hour to really get a good feel of how she sounds and plays, then make your decicion.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I did mean MIA Deluxe Jazz bass! I know what I said was pretty vague! The difference between the Jazz and Precision is like night and day.:D