1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string Fender Precisions with Jazz Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Dec 15, 2004.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I was watching a special on PBS last night about the Disco era...the one hosted by KC (KC and the Sunshine Band).

The bassist for one band (I forgot which) had a red Precision bass, with a 4 + 1 headstock and Jazz type pickups (not soapbars).

Other than the Squier Precision Special 5, did/does Fender make any other models like this?

If it was the Squier (which I could believe since I own a green one), it would be very cool that a guy would be gigging on TV with it.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Not "off the rack". Now, it could've been a project bass (Warmoth?), or a heavily modded American Precision V (doubtful, unless it was the Fender Custom Shop). Aside from that, it could well have been a Squier. FYI I've seen some excellent touring musicians use low-dollar import instruments, including Squier. Some of us like the bling-bling, but ultimately it's about what you play, not what you play it on. :)

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I originally thought modified Am P 5 but it had a 4 + 1 headstock and the Am are 5 in-line.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly content making a living playing either my MIM P or Squier P Special 5. Interestingly, both were purchased on a whim, the Mexi P needed neck work and a slight truss rod adjustment created a wonderful P bass and the Squier blew me away with its playability and price ($179 new IIRC).

My first bass was a brand new 1974 P bass and the MIM P is a better instrument in so many ways...plays better, sounds better, etc. Correcting for inflation, the '74 P would cost $1200 today and I paid $200 for my MIM P two years ago.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For the first year or two, the Am P5 was 5 inline. For the last year or maybe two, it was changed to 4 + 1.

I've played some killer MIM Fenders! And I'm still considering adding an MTD Kingston 5 to my collection.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I saw and taped that show, The bass player who played with Wild Cherry and others was playing a Squire! I was shocked! He didn't sound bad at all and actually got away with using a Squire for that gig.