5 string Fender Precisions with Jazz Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Dec 15, 2004.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I was watching a special on PBS last night about the Disco era...the one hosted by KC (KC and the Sunshine Band).

The bassist for one band (I forgot which) had a red Precision bass, with a 4 + 1 headstock and Jazz type pickups (not soapbars).

Other than the Squier Precision Special 5, did/does Fender make any other models like this?

If it was the Squier (which I could believe since I own a green one), it would be very cool that a guy would be gigging on TV with it.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Not "off the rack". Now, it could've been a project bass (Warmoth?), or a heavily modded American Precision V (doubtful, unless it was the Fender Custom Shop). Aside from that, it could well have been a Squier. FYI I've seen some excellent touring musicians use low-dollar import instruments, including Squier. Some of us like the bling-bling, but ultimately it's about what you play, not what you play it on. :)
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I originally thought modified Am P 5 but it had a 4 + 1 headstock and the Am are 5 in-line.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly content making a living playing either my MIM P or Squier P Special 5. Interestingly, both were purchased on a whim, the Mexi P needed neck work and a slight truss rod adjustment created a wonderful P bass and the Squier blew me away with its playability and price ($179 new IIRC).

My first bass was a brand new 1974 P bass and the MIM P is a better instrument in so many ways...plays better, sounds better, etc. Correcting for inflation, the '74 P would cost $1200 today and I paid $200 for my MIM P two years ago.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For the first year or two, the Am P5 was 5 inline. For the last year or maybe two, it was changed to 4 + 1.

I've played some killer MIM Fenders! And I'm still considering adding an MTD Kingston 5 to my collection.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I saw and taped that show, The bass player who played with Wild Cherry and others was playing a Squire! I was shocked! He didn't sound bad at all and actually got away with using a Squire for that gig.