Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string Fender Squire for $220?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Opinions?

The organization that I work for is religious in nature. Every Tuesday we have a chapel service. In the past, it has been pretty conservative (just piano and organ) but recently, we changed to piano, bass, and drums. Ever since then, I've been asked to play for it, thus, having to bring my bass.

However, the company decided to (since they purchased drums for the chapel) buy a bass as well. I went to a local music store and they had a 5 string Squire that they would discount to around $220. I played it for a while and it seemed to hold its tune well, seemed to have proper intonation, and felt pretty good to me. It is a passive setup.

Now, I realize that Squires are considered to be rather low in quality, but for the price this one seemed to be quite good. Not what I would really want myself, but for the purposes it would serve, a very good choice.

So again I ask, opinions?

2. I have played a 5 string Squire that my buddy has. I was quite surprised with the good playability of it actually, I found it to play very well for a Squire. The only problem I found was that the electronics werent much to be desired. I would say thats a pretty good deal and that would be a good choice for that group.
    Cheers,
    Dave

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Squire Precision Bass Special 5 is a great bass for the money. AS the earlier poster said, the pickups are a bit hissy and the frets can be sharp, but the overall sound and especially the B string are very good in absolute terms. This is a great bass for upgrading if you like projects. I would love to get one and give it a professional fret job and then install Nordstrand or Aero pickups with good shielding and maybe a new bridge. For about $500 extra, this could really be a bass that could run with a Skyline or USA Fender.

4. FWIW, the group that this bass would be used for could be considered to be conservative Christian. The bass would be played through the house sound system. The length of time that it is played, before service, maybe 10 minutes tops, during the service, around 5 minutes. After the service, perhaps another 5 minutes tops.

I didn't notice any hissing sounds coming from the pickups and the frets didn't seem particularly sharp to me. Now, I say that having never really played on a high quality instrument, so take that as you will.. :meh:

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I just got a Ibanez SRX-505 5 string on ebay for $220 and that bass is better quality then a Squire...
    Ebay is the place to be for your gear needs... BE patient if you have time to search for what you REALLY Want, you may just get lucky like i did...

The one model higher than it (The Ibanez SRX-705 with neck through body quality bass) went for only $305

6. I don't know what's better, Squier or SX, but I'd go with an SX. They have 5 string versions for a lot less.

7. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    are you talking about the 5-string precision delux model or the MB-5? if your reffering to the MB-5 if you find a good one, there's prolly nothing else in that price range that can touch it (without any modifications). I own one myself and when i bought mine i had $250 on me and i played everything else in the store that i could afford and that got me closest to that little bassline i hear in my head (especailly in the middle of conversations, exams, class,... :D ). but i'd check out what all you can get in that price range that you can auctaially play(not mailorder, internet,ect.), and then use ur best judgement to decide what sounds better(or you could take a musician buddy along and see what they think) Ebay is always a good choice 2, just look for the ones that r moderitley close to you so you doint have to buy sight-unseen

8. Actually, it is the MB-5 model. :) Hopefully, the company will decide on whether or not to get it, and if they do, I will be quite happy (that I won't have to continually bring my bass every Tuesday). As far as sound, as I said above, it sounded pretty good to me, and I've heard good sounding basses. ;)

9. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    the P Special 5 has a nice wide neck. Not sure about the MB-5. SX 5 string is pretty narrow. Keep that in mind when looking at low priced 5 stringers.

10. My current Peavey has a narrow string spacing, as does this Fender. So no problems there. :)

11. chames

chames

Dec 19, 2007
    I have this bass in my hands right now. It holds tone well and I live in a wood heated basement so the temperature varies a lot. There is buzzing sometimes but that is easily limited with the toner knobs. I actually broke the D - string last night and I wanted to get the Fender .050-.105 chromes for it as replacement. Any ideas on how this will make it sound?

12. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    The Squire MB-5 is a great little bass. Excellent value.

13. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  14. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Fender flats, maybe? D'Addario produces the Chromes. I prefer the D'Addario's.