5 String Fever

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Well, I'm starting to look at five string basses. A common problem I find when going to the local purveyor of musical instruments is that the B string is often rather floppy compared to the other four. Do any of you fine bassists out there know of a relatively inexpensive 5 string bass that would also have a relatively taught B string?

And while we're at it, why don't some of you 5 string fanatics throw in some photographs of your funk machines. (Man, I LOVE alliterations!)
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here are mine:

It seems like one of the best (if not the best) B strings can be found in Dingwalls, but they aren't exactly inexpensive. Anyway, my Bongo's open B sounds very powerful!
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ahhh, the ol' floppy B myth. The B string's floppy feel is fundamentally a function of the string's construction. There are stiff strings and there are soft strings. The soft ones will feel "floppier" than the stiff ones. If you've always been a four-string player, you've got to get used to the idea that the B string has the lowest tension of them all, so it's not going to feel as tight as the others (unless you get a bass with Novax fanned frets). For a given scale length and the same strings, the tension in the B string will be identical regardless of the bass brand.

People who say things about how the angle of the headstock or the distance between the saddles and the back of the bridge can affect the tension in the string are mindless buffoons. If you want a tighter feeling B string, buy stiffer strings or get a bass with a 35- or 36-inch scale. It has nothing to do with who made the bass.
  4. This is a 35" scale with DR high Beams. The B is a .125

I second Munji on the floppy B string. You can get a thicker B string which will have more tension. .130 or maybe a .135... not all string manufacturers make them though...

5. Here's mine. and it's STILL for sale :(
  6. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The entire string length makes a difference to tension, regardless of anchor points.