5 string fretless. Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Big Green, Aug 15, 2005.

1. I just bought an SR505 fretless. it has an untreated rosewood fretboard. The round wounds that it came with have made a bit of grooving in the fretboard. I was concerned until i discovered the bass is from 94'. Considering the age I would say the damage is extremely minimal. Still though, I figured that I should probably run some flatwounds to preserve it as long as possible, especially since i love bending strings. My local music shop only carries standard roundwound sets for a 5 string.
    So being as I am going to have to order a set I was hoping for some suggestions. I really like the tone of the roundwounds on it and was wondering if getting some coated strings would help preserve it or should I just get some flats?Any brand suggestions? thanks
  2. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    One suggestion, you might want to work on "sliding" notes along the string, rather than bending across the string. Use the same style for vibrato. As for strings, TI Jazz Flats are my choice.
    More here

3. Ya, i think the jazz flats might be the answer. I've been trying to get used to the sliding, but when im rockin out my reflexes takeover.
    Is it feesable to continue using rounds, if i stop bending, and not chew the fretboard up to much? I know this bass is 11 years old but I don't know how much it was actually played.
  4. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Rotosound RS88 black nylon tapewound are my fretless string of choice for over 10 years now.
  5. I was gonna try those but i read they are high tension and I really like loose strings. to bad cause I'm sure the fretboard would have liked nylon better than nickel.
  6. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    You could try the Labella tapewounds. They are reportedly significantly lower tension than the Rotos, though I have not tried both.