1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5-string fretless for under 800-1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by giorgi, Mar 28, 2013.

1. giorgi

giorgi

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm looking to get a 5-string fretless for under 800-1000$, new or used in good condition. What would be the best choices in your opinion?

Thanks!

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It's the one that I got
    View attachment 327612
    and it's €. 400,00 worth:hyper:

It's powerful, fast, unlined and keeps the lowest action a full step downtuned 5 string bass can do

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a used EBSR5 that I love. I saw a few here on TB in that range. I purchased a used one from GC used site and it was great why buy a sub brand when you can get the real deal used? And with GC you have 30 days to return if it does not work out

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Used Carvin. Best bang for your buck in my opinion. 4, 5, or 6 string fretted or fretless. Great basses with horrible resale value. You can get a good one for well under $800.

5. i have a Conklin/Groove Tools Fretless 5 that i'm well pleased with...there's a used one currently on E-Bay with a BIN of $650us....i'd snap it up myself, but don't currently have the funds available.

You might also look into Ibanez, both the SR375F and the Gary Willis GWB35 are below your stated price.

6. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    Awhile back, I bought a fretted Schecter Studio-5 bass for around $600, it's a decent bass. They have new lined fretless versions for around $700-750 new on eBay.

7. giorgi

giorgi

Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks a lot guys. I thinks it's the real problem to be short on budget and try to get a decent instrument. Even more, every guitar that's under 1500$ that I've checked, looks more like a toy than a professional instrument. Well, OK, you find something that looks promising and price is OK too, but then you read some reviews, description etc. and find out that something's missing, the pickups are not what you might expect, or strings buzz, or parts are cheap, and so on. I live in Georgia and 1500$ is a quite a lot of money here, but there's no other way, I guess. I've been playing bass for almost 10 years. Enough playing on toys, gotta gather some money.

I know, but they say GWB35 has very weak electronics and SR375F has CAP pickups. *** is cap? couldn't they just add Bartolinis? :))

Yep, maybe. I've heard really good things about this company.

Another problem is, I cannot check an instrument here, on my own, because there is almost no choice of instruments in Georgia. You have to purchase it let's say in USA and then hope that it'll suit you :)) So my choice completely relies on forums, reviews and youtube videos...

Anyway... Thanks again, guys. Wish you all the best \m/

8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I have the GWB35, I really enjoy the ramp. The neck is really thin too, actually had to use lighter gauge strings to get it where I liked it. Pretty sweet bass with new pickups and preamp.

9. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    A Carvin B50F can be had for as low as about $850 shipped. Price depends on what options you choose. They really can't be beat for the price. The quality is excellent.

10. For $1k, if you're conservative on the cosmetics, you can spec out a new Carvin. If you have any basic skills you can do a Warmoth or Carvin kit. If you don't mind used, then pick up a good used fretted 5er of your choice and pop for a new Warmoth fretless neck of your spec. Also can't go wrong with the new Warwick RB line.

11. giorgi

giorgi

Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks! I hadn't heard about Warmoth. Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

12. giorgi

giorgi

Sep 11, 2011
    You're right, I'm checking their price list now. I'm surprised. Thank you.

13. 8liter

8liter Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    +1. I love mine. Incredible bass for the money.

14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Carvin can be pricey outside of North America.

A Warwick RockBass of some variety will probably suit your budget and needs, as would an ESP Ltd. of some kind. They are also easy to find online.