1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string fretless for under a grand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowend219, May 1, 2009.

1. lowend219

lowend219

Sep 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    My band just released our first album (hooray) and we are already hard at work on writing the follow up. The more we write the more I believe that fretless bass is the way to go for a majority of the songs on the album. The recording and performing of these songs is a ways away, nonetheless I have begun research on a 5 string fretless for when the time does come. (Translation: serious case of GAS)

GC offers next to NOTHING in the way of fretless basses and none in a 5 string config, though the warwick 4 strings they have are quite nice. I also went to the Carvin store in hollywood and played an excellent LB75WF. My main issue is, both of these basses cost well in excess of $1000. Most of the other 5 string fretlesses I see are F bass, Fodera, Bee Bass; all the super duper expensive stuff.

So the question is: Are there any 5 string fretless basses out there for under a grand? Is it realistic to think I can get a decent one for that much money? Or is an inexpensive 5 string fretless only a pipe dream...?

2. Buy used. There are MANY incredible 5 string fretless options under $1k.

3. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    Such as?

IF the TB Sale forum is any indaction there sure aren't many. And of those, what might be an incredible one?

4. In the used dept, hard to match the bang for your buck of a Peavey Cirrus or Millennium USA.

5. My Zon Fretless 5 is listed in the TB Sale forum for just a little over $1000..it is definitely worth the extra $$

6. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    Hey Spade, the Millenium is a nice 5. Never saw a fretless.
    Special order?

7. Wow, you're right, it is pretty dry right now. I'd go for a Stingray 5 fretless for about $850-$900. I sold one recently. I'd check the Ernie Ball for sale forum for one.

8. Oops, brain fart. Nope. Never offered AFIK.

9. Mr Matt

Mr Matt

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Lakland 55-01 or 55-02, great basses!

10. Carvin Bolt 5 Fretless. www.carvin.com
    I own one, so I can vouch for it.

FG

11. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    ibanez gwb35?

12. Have one defretted for $75.. or you can do it and take your chances.

There are tons of quality basses in the under $500 range.

Tim

13. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Limit6 is selling a Lakland 55-02. Gorgeous bass for $750.

Get if you can.

14. lowend219

lowend219

Sep 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    wow guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Luckily this isn't a decision I have to make tomorrow and you've all given me a lot of great stuff to research.

fretlessguy: how would you compare the carvin bolt on basses to their higher end models?

15. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

Schecter Stilleto fretless 5er's are around $700 I believe, great sound too!

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had one. It is a great bass.:)

Deans are great too.

17. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY