Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String Fretless Identification Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by igto, Jun 9, 2004.

1. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    Hi
    I need some expert help in identifying the brand/maker/signature of a (maybe) custom, 5 string fretless bass with a 13pin Midi socket.
    Any input, bit of information, piece of advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004

3. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004

4. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It has a squidish looking headstock that looks like a Ken Lawrence, but I doubt it. The body shape isn't like anything I've seen from him so far... The logo is different too :p It looks like a letter B...
    What's with the spraypainted back of the headstock anyway?

Oh, and the bass is missing a bridge :)

I think you might need to provide larger, higher resolution pics in order for us to make a more informed guess. The pics right now don't show much... especially the bitmaps. They're tiny.

Edit: The only thing I can make out right now is that it's a bolt on, fretless, alder body with walnut(?) top. The neck seems to be wenge, with a macassar ebony(?) fb. Comes with no RMC piezos and no pups. I have no clue what kinda nut that is :)

5. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    Cheers, rusty, that was FAST.
    I thought Ken Lawrence too, but as you said, not exactly identical to his more recent designs.
    It's missing an ebony tailpiece (I've been told), and definitely some strings...
    The pictures are from eBay, hence the poor quality - sorry.
    It also comes with a 13 pin Midi socket...
    Anyway, thanks for your input.

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    The 13 pin midi socket probably means it's got a poly-drive I module in it... it's usually installed with the piezos to take full advantage of them :)

It's definitely not a KL bcos the logo is different as well.