Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string fretless on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 30, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ok, i was planning on getting a Warwick Streamer Standard 5 string fretless with 2 pickups and then dropping a preamp into it, but (depending on how much the pre affects it) may make the bass cost more than it sounds. (depending on how much i can get the bass for, i suppose)

if i can find another fretless warwick for around the same price used, i'll go for it. if not - what are some fretless 5 string basses that are around that same price? i want something that sounds warwicky, active, 34" scale, two pickups preferably, and also preferably natural finished.

ideas?

jason

2. Look into the cort artisan ... i think the fretless is the fl5 ?? theyre mentioned in other threads ... a search on "embellisher" (the member) and "artisan" should turn up something.

I recently got a new cort artisan 5 string fretted for around the price of a MIM fender jazz ... that's $1350 Aus, or around $650 US. I dig it totally, though it has a heavy body and gets a little hiss through the preamp if the treble's up, it has a good range of sounds, all bart electronics, is neck through maple / wenge with rosewood fingerboard and very nice construction ... definitely a great 5 for its price point. Will write a full review maybe soon ...

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I second the recommendation of the Artisan if they still make it in a 5. Fretless is only listed as an option for the 4 string.

Jason, the Artisan bolt on series has a wenge neck and Bart pickups and preamp. Killer fretless for the price.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it looks good, and arent the bart mk1's the same thing that the lakland skyline 55-01 has?...any idea if they make the 5 in a fretless tho?

jason

5. embellisher

They used to make it in a fretless, I have played them at Mars in the past. But I don't know if they still do. With Cort, the website isn't 100% reliable. It doesn't show the Cort Curbow 6 string, and that bass has been around for 2 years.

I am not sure if those are the same electronics as the 55-01 has, but I do know that the few times that I have plugged one of those basses in they sounded killer.

6. I have been looking for a good 5 string fretless also and have been having a hard time finding one I am happy with in a fretless. I have only played one fretles that I like and that is a Zon. But after doing alot of looking and contacting manufactures to find out if they have the bass I was interested in as a fretless and finding out they didn't. I think I have finally decided on what to get that I think I will be happy with. I am going this weekend to test it out and see. I decided on a Peavey Cirrus 5 string fretless.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

did it have a wenge neck? what fingerboard wood is used on the fretless?

i REALLY need to track one of these down. even the bridge looks kinda warwicky :)

jason

8. embellisher

Yeah, they got the 2 piece bridge going on. The one I played had a wenge neck, and they all have a rosewood fingerboard. Lots of mwaahh!:cool:

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what about building a warmoth bass?

wenge neck w/ebony board, lined
    barebones ash body
    gotoh 206 bridge
    bart pickups
    bart preamp

worth it? or putting that neck on a MIM jazz deluxe?

apparently they don't make the german streamer standard anymore. everything's been moved to "rockbass." and i don't want a maple neck.

jason

10. embellisher

I am probably going that route in a few months, when I have the $$$, unless I decide to get Dave Pushic to build it for me.

And I will be going with a wenge neck with a macassar ebony board. That is less than $300! Insane!

Go for it!:cool: