5 string fretless reccomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chanson, Feb 16, 2009.

1. I have been on the lookout for a five string for a while now and have decided that I may want to go fretless. I used to have a fretless, but didn't like the particular model, so I know what I am getting into. I am looking for something up to the $1400 ish range. I need something with fret lines. I'd prefer an active bass but it doesn't matter too much to me. I play sludge/progressive metal and jam around on jazz/fusion at home, if that helps provide a little insight. So, in conclusion, please make me some recommendations about which 5 string fretless basses to check out.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    What fretted 5 strings do you like? If you know it, what string spacing and scale length?

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    A used Ernie Ball will get you a nice 5 string, and have about $500 left over.

5. 34" or 35" scale. I don't really know what string spacing I prefer. I have played basses with narrow spacing and wider spacing and honestly, I'll play either.

6. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    You could pick up a used Pentabuzz for that, if you look hard.
    Tough to beat that.
    I got a used Ibanez Gary Wills GWB1 for less than that - they're harder to find, but also great fretless basses.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Remember too that any fretted bass can be de-fretted, and the slots filled with whatever kind of fretline appeals to you. I am lucky enough to have right now the two best-playing, best-sounding fretless basses I've ever gotten my hands on, and both of them were formerly fretted.

(BTW they're an MPG Level 5 and a Hamer USA Cruise J5, both of which were fairly inexpensive.)

8. There is a great GNl L2500 Fretless for sale in the TB Classified section. Awsome bass!

9. I've been looking at what's available for the price range and nothing is very appealing with the exception of scoring on a used Pedulla. The idea of defretting a fretted 5 string sounds promising. I have been thinking about getting a Fender 24 fret V bass and defretting it. Do defretted basses usually sound as good as a factory fretless bass though?

10. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
  11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Bud LeCompte has a lined fretless Multi Scale bass in stock that you may want to look at & I don't think it's posted on his website yet. I have the fretted version of this bass and it's awesome. You will have to call him about the price - here is a photo & the website. It has an epoxy coated finterboard so you can use roundwound strings if you want to & also an Aguilar 3 band preamp. www.lecomptebass.com

TRX400.jpg

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021