1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Oct 16, 2006.

1. I am looking for a 5 string fretless bass. I've only played a fretless a number of times but I really like it and want to start learning. i don't really want a cheap beginner bass though because I want something that will last me a while and still be good when I become more advanced.

I wouldn't be too adverse to a semi-cheap bass though. Used or new, preferrably under $500, maybe a bit higher if I need to.

Also I think I'd be better off with a lined one, for now.

I have looked at many basses from esp, carvin, tobias, pedulla, etc. But I am sure there are much more experienced people out there with advice for me. Thanks.

Matt

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really like the Ibanez GWB35, the budget Gary Willis signature model. Fretless Deans are great for the money too. Consider used also. G&L and Peavey come to mind for great fretlesses. I still remember Jaquo III-X funkin' the snot out a fretless G&L L-2500 last Saturday at the Chicago GTG!:bassist:

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1 for a bassist looking for a fretless 5'er on the cheap you can't go wrong with one of these! Very classy basses given what you pay-and I hear the Japanese made 4 strings are exquisite!

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    if your lucky you can find a used Carvin LB75F for that price.

5. I would recommend the Carvin as well. Go to ebay and check things out too. There are lots of GREAT used basses out there, this is a great way to get an even BETTER bass for less money.

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I highly agree.

7. Thanks for all of the advice guys. I have been lurking around ebay checking out prices and basses for a year or more now, so I have a good idea of whats out there. I was just looking for some people to affirm my thoughts. :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021