Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hello
    currently im looking at a Carvin build you own custom bass kit... so i was thinking
    a 5 string fretless with black chrome hardware.. the pups are active/passive so i dont have to buy batterys alot if i dont want cause i here actives go through batterys..
    right now im playing on my friends jazz fretless and find it pretty damn easy..
    just wanting opinions.. would you own a 5 string fretless? Id leave the finish natural of course and i think with the black hardware it would look like a pretty beautiful instrument..

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    go for it man. i like 5 string fretless alot more than i like 4 string fretless. don't know why...if i get rich this year i'll get a matching SSII fretless to go with my fretted, if not i'm gonna get a cort B5 and defret it.

your bass sounds like it should be pretty nice. don't worry about the active stuff though. i've had my musicman sterling since it (and I) was a wee pup back in 1994, played the carp out of it, and replaced the battery maybe 4 times.

and that has NO active passive switch.

edit: one more thing - check out www.warmoth.com and poke around their custom thrift shop. their stuff is SUPER nice.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have a carvin Lb75f and I would say go for all 5 strings. If you are learning frettless (especially an unlined one) the place you will most likely run into trouble is shifting up and down the board. A 5er lets you do more playing and faster from the same position. Plus, you will probably find the low D on the b string very useful.

Don't worry about the batteries, I have the same electronics in mine and I have only had to change the battery about once in the year and 1/2 I have had it.

One last thing, if you are going with black hardware and natural finish, do yourself a favor and go with a naked (unlined) fingerboard. You still get side dots, and it will look killer.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    defenitly do it man. i got my LB75PF about a year and a half ago. first fretless i ever played (aside from upright) and im very glad i did it. i had played a 5er before, but never owned one. now i play then exclusively. i love it, its a great bass, a good price, and it will last me a lifetime i think. one piece of advice though: if you think you can handle it, get the fingerboard unlined. it looks so much better, and it will reduce your tendancies to loo at the board when playing. the side dots i dont mind, but i often find myself wishing i had had the ballz to get the face unmarked when i ordered it in the first place.

5. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Hey Nick, we have the same taste. I was just thinking the same thing. But i gotta get money first.
    Im wanting a 5-less, and assembling one would be a good experience. Black hardware was my choice.
    But I think im gonna stain mine a darker color. I dont know what kind yet. Ive been eyeing that kit for awhile. Waiting to see if someone has done a 5 string kit yet.

6. I have a cort curbow five fretless and really enjoy it. Its not the greatest instrument in the world but also didnt set me back much. I got mine closeout for 350... great price for an introduction to both fretless and five strings. The only problem with fretless is WATCH THE ROUNDWOUNDS. my bass is currently being cut to $h!# by those evil fretboard destroying, but beautiful sounding, roundwounds.

7. I think I'm gonna have Dave Pushic build me a fretless fiver this summer.

It's gonna be neck through, natural finished claro walnut, ebony fretboard, unlined with side dots, and black hardware.

What pick up configuration are you going with? I'm getting Bartolini soapbar/ precision on my DP.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  9. I got a lb75 a few months agao, and I think in a few more months im gonna go ahead and get a fretless five. Lizzy's is a cool instrument, you should check it out.

Also I have the same electronics as you, and I have had the bass oh 4 months, and the batteries are still going, so don't worry about that.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I owned an LB75F and it's a nice bass. As far as roundwounds go, try some Nickels like Ken Smith Burners or DR Sunbeams. I have practically no wear on either of my current fretless fives (Elrick and Zon).

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dude, do you really think that anyone on talkbass is going to tell you not to buy a new bass??:D

I have a Dean Edge 5 and I'm in love with it. It is the bass that I play the most often of all the six that I own. I also recommend that you get an unlined board. They look so much better than lined ones and are not a problem to play. (assuming your fretted technique is fairly good)

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    you live in My Anus!!!

OK, Thats enough.

hehehe...

Seriously though, go for it.

Nick

13. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Strange, I haven't had much trouble with my roundwounds and my frettless.

Does the cort curbow have a synthetic board?

The carvin is an ebony board and is pretty sturdy. The most wear on my fretboard came when I lent it to a friend for an afternoon and forgot to tell him not to use it for slap bass.

14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    so i shouldnt do that eh? ;) but its so fun! yeah, ill probably hafta put a new board on it in a few years, but hey, thats an excuse to get an unlined one!

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Slapping on a fretless is not only fun, but also sounds great, IMO.

16. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    A good friend of mine just built the 5 string fretless Carvin kit. I think it sounds great, but you may want to consider the ash body option they have if you like the sound of ash over alder for a fretless. It is a very cost effective and complete kit. A beautiful instrument for the money. Good Luck

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree! I love slapping my Zon.:)

18. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Just snapped this photo for the "Show your 5 strings" thread so I figured what the heck I'll post it here, too. Sorry all I have is a crappy webcam.
    [​IMG]

19. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    "Originally posted by Philbiker
    Slapping on a fretless is not only fun, but also sounds great, IMO."

yep, that´s right ! check out bakhiti kumalo on paul simon´s "graceland" lp - sounds great ! and don´t worry about the fretboard wear - if the fretboard gets grooves that are to deep, just have it replaced by a good luthier

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I'd own a 5-string fretless. Heck, I'd own two.

[​IMG]