Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glorpwolf, Jan 17, 2003.

1. glorpwolf

glorpwolf

Jan 5, 2003
    Right now i'm using a squier 4 string, and i went to guitar center the other weekend and played with some of the fretless basses and they are really awesome. Does anyone have reccomendations for a good 5 string fretless bass under about $300. And, also, is a 5 string really that much better than a 4? thanks.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Dean Edge 5 string Fretless, that's a great bass that can be had for a little more than your budget at www.musiciansfriend.com . (EDIT - I don't see any fretless models there right now)

In your price range I would recommend the Brice 5 string basses from www.rondomusic.com - see the "Essex Megathread" for more information. They appear to be very good bargains.

As for what is better, I won't touch that. I have both 4 string and 5 string basses, and I slightly prefer 5 string, but still happily play 4s as well. They both have their place.