1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glorpwolf, Jan 17, 2003.

1. glorpwolf

glorpwolf

Jan 5, 2003
    Right now i'm using a squier 4 string, and i went to guitar center the other weekend and played with some of the fretless basses and they are really awesome. Does anyone have reccomendations for a good 5 string fretless bass under about $300. And, also, is a 5 string really that much better than a 4? thanks.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Dean Edge 5 string Fretless, that's a great bass that can be had for a little more than your budget at www.musiciansfriend.com . (EDIT - I don't see any fretless models there right now)

In your price range I would recommend the Brice 5 string basses from www.rondomusic.com - see the "Essex Megathread" for more information. They appear to be very good bargains.

As for what is better, I won't touch that. I have both 4 string and 5 string basses, and I slightly prefer 5 string, but still happily play 4s as well. They both have their place.