1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string gauge for slap.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dukie1995, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dukie1995

dukie1995

Jul 29, 2012
    I own an ibanez sr 405qm 5 string bass and i wanted to know what string gauge is good for slap because i have always heard that higher guages are not good for slap. but i also hear that lighter gauges make the b string too floppy.

if anyone could help that would be appreciated.

2. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Stainless steel strings are generally preferred for slap because of their brighter tone, but really it's personal preference.

As far as lighter guages = more flop, that isn't true. I use a .119 on my 5 string and its no floppier than any .130 or .135 that I've used.

Floppiness is, to my understanding, more a result of the contruction of the bass. Some basses just flop more than others, so to speak.

3. dukie1995

dukie1995

Jul 29, 2012
    Thanks very much that is a big help. And are there any string brands that you would recommend because i've considered using DR strings.

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    DR strings are very good for slapping! I would recommend High Beams, gauge .125 ^^

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    It's hard to go wrong with DR's and High Beams would work great. I like the smaller guages for the low B as well.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Many like really flexible strings for slap which is why "Round Core" strings like DR hi-Beams mentioned above are liked.

Some prefer Nickel Plated Steel for slap as they feel "Slicker" to the touch in general.

You can also get a flexible bouncy string from a light gauge set.

Personally on my slap basses I like lighter gauge strings 40-100 w/ a .120 or .125 B string. These are with Hex Cores though, if I were to use a round core string I would use 45-125/130 though.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Of the strings I've tried, the only B-strings I've ever thought sounded clear when slapped were DR and Circle K strings.

Both brands make very flexible strings that sound great when slapped. On my 6-strings, I've determined that, for the Circle K's, I prefer the .136 set for slapping.

8. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    A Thicker gauged string tuned to the same note as a thinner gauged string will have a small oscillation.. As will a hex core string compared to a roundcore.. So if you want a string with a tight feel and not a lot of "flop" you may want to get something with a hexcore and at a thicker gauge.. That would result in the tightest and least floppy low B.