Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string guage and tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Dec 14, 2004.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    is it possible to have add a high string instead of ta low sting on a 5 string bass? could i get a normal 4 string set and buy a seperate smaller string or buy a very light 5 string set and move everything down? would the tuning be a problem for the sound or the bass itself?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sure, lots of people do this. However:

1) You will probably have to re-adjust your truss rod for the lightened tension on the neck, as well as re-set your bridge saddles for proper intonation.

2) Odds are (though not always) that you will have to replace your nut to have smaller slots filed in more appropriate for your thinner guages of strings.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually, he will have to deal with more tension on the neck.

Its not a real problem though.

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright, how exactly should i do the strings? buy a 4 set and then another smaller one or buy a very light 5 set?

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Really? So you're saying that, even though the E A D and G strings are the same guage and tuned the same (just moved down in the nut), basically swapping a lo B for a high C actually ADDS tension? I woulda' figgerd the opposite, like the original poster. Are you sure about this?

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    If there is more tension on the strings then there is more compression on the neck. I think we are mixing up some terms here.

7. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I actually read something in the strings section that a lighter string does add more tension, but I forget what thread it was in.

8. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    He's right. A bass tuned EADGC will have more tension than a bass tuned BEADG..

9. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    where can i buy a good 5 string set with the high C?

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Cool, thanks.

I figured as much based on his positive tone and the number of posts he's done (which is hard to do if you're wrong a lot), but just wanted to be sure. This is very good to know.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'm pretty sure you're lookin' at 4 string sets with added singles. Most popular brands have singles available, just the stores don't usually carry them. juststrings.com has them. Their pricing is ok.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was skeptical at first too but I checked the back of a pack of Da'addarios and saw that the higher strings are higher tension than the lower ones.

13. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    would hi-beams tite fit stainless steel lite lite 40-95 with an added 30 be a good string setup for jazz/funk and flea type stuff? or should i go a bit heavier?

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I use 45- 105 for my standard tunned strings. I cant imagine an E as light as 95, but I know some people use them.

15. or get a Six String Set and you'll just have a b string lying around, give it to somebody who has a 5 string that goes beadg like me :)