5 String Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chrisjpb, Apr 10, 2005.

1. chrisjpb

Jan 19, 2005
    I play a Carvin LP75P with the Stock J99 Pickup and the HB2 Humbucker. My problem is that when i play through my Fender Bassman 150 the lowest notes on the B string doesnt sound very clean at all. From the B up to about D it just sounds muddy. Is there a chance this is an issue with the amp or was this custom bass a waste of money to get the 5th string? I was told that Carvins were a pretty good bass company, and i have no other complaints about it. BUt i dont want to be playing a 5 string if i cant even use all 5 strings.
  2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think you ask a really good question here!! In short it could be your bass, your amp/EQ , or any combination of both............You certainly would not be the first one to have a "useless" low B string, this happens quite alot. I would find someone who is a very experienced bassist(teacher, local bass players, etc.) and ask if they will take a second to check your bass, or you could bring your bass into a local music store and try it through some different amps, try some other 5 strings, and see if you can work it out....good luck, and let us know what you find!!!
  3. LP75P? Carvin lists a LB75P on their site.......which is a 34" scale neck-through....

The 34" scale may be the problem, but I have an older LB75 which is also 34" scale and I never had a problem with the low B. Could be the strings, could be the amp. I'm not sure how well that 12" in the Bassman will handle the lower notes. The cabinet may not be tuned for the lower registers well. Maybe another 5'er with a Bassman will chime in and let us know how their's handles the lows. I play through a 4X10 Peavey cabinet and my B sounded fine all the way down. I tried mine through a Hartke 15" once and hated the sound. Made my entire range sound muddy.

I would take lowphat's advice and test it with other rigs first. One of the benefits to a five or six string is the extended modal possibilities that they bring into play, but I would certainly understand not having those lower notes not sounding as clear as you would like.

4. mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    One thing to definitely try before ditching the bass is a string set with a taper wound B string. It made my love my bass again.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the same issue witn my LB75P. I put KS Rock Masters with a taper B and it didnt help. I am going to try Labella hard rockin and maybe Zon or Sadowsky strings. Otherwise, maybe new pups?
  6. Is it the bass, strings, or Bassman amp/cab?

Until you know for sure, guessing will become expensive in a hurry.

Diagnose this by identifying which components are not the cause. Borrow a friend's bass and see if the results are the same in your cab. If so, look to the cab most likely, then the electronics. Do the no-cost diagnosis functions first. Swap things out.

My bet is the speaker cabinet.