Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan_G, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I currently play a 4 string stingray, and I love it. Every time I play it I like it more and more. However recently I have been thinking that I would like to see how I like playing a 5. I am thinking that I want a little bit more mellow sound with the 5. I have been thinking of getting a lakland. I don't really know which one. I will probably end up with a 55-02, which I almost have enough cash for right now. If I sold my warwick corvette I could probably swing a USA, but I don't know if it would be worth it. I have also considered just getting a jazz bass.

I play a wide variety of music, and supriseingly haven't had trouble getting my stingray to fit in. I play in a reggae 3 piece with handrums/aux percussion, bass, and guitar. I also play in a band that does jamish type stuff, bluesish stuff, and a lot of bob marley covers. I am really just looking for a solid 5 string that feels great(nice b), and has a variety of sounds I can use. I love the way my stingray plays, so any suggestions of something similar in feel would be great.

So I guess the price is about 700-1500(used), but I would rather have it on the cheaper end.

p.s. I will probably replace my warwick fretless with a fretless 6 in the future. Something like a carvin, cirrus, or something to cover the more modern sound.

-Bryan

2. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Any general you can't be a real bassist without a lakland, the only real bass is a fender p, or dude just play ibanez advice is welcome too.

I really just want some opinions. Hopefully from some one who understands where i'm at, but just general opinions are welcome.

-Bryan

3. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    If you don't have local access to play everything you'd like to play, start buying them here or on eBay. You won't lose much if you pass them along and might even make a little. Typically, you'll be out of pocket by no more than the cost of shipping. I recently had the same dilemma and have since purchased a Sukop 5 (and sold it), a Lakland 55-94 (and sent it back) and most recently a Mike Lull Vintage Jazz 5 (ah yes!). They were all good but the Lull, for me, is the only keeperÂ… unless I decide I don't really want a 5 after all in which case I'll sell it and won't be taking a loss. You are going to get a hundred different opinions because what constitutes a good bass is subjective. Pick the one you think you're going to like and buy it used at the going rate. The "going rate" can easily be checked by looking at the completed auctions on eBay. If you don't buy high, you'll be fine when you resell it/them. Good luck and start by buying yourself that Lakland. :bassist:

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I agree with the above post, if you absolutly cannot play before you buy, then buy used. Many people love laklands around here but I do not. It would be a good idea to try and find one that you can play before forking out he dough.

5. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    good advice .. we all know we really ought to play before we buy - it's just not possible sometimes. I bought a CIJ jazz fretless 62RI which I sold as I was disappointed from day 1 with the feel and lack of 'mwah' not matter what I tried. I bought a fretted CIJ from an ebayer which I love. I've also bought a Warwick5 based on playing another Warwick I tried in my local store - that one went after a year too. ebay can be a risky biz but as the man says, if you buy well and used then you should get away with a shipping/selling debt but good fun experience.
    Stingray? . .my SR4 from '77 always stays with me, the others come and go. If you love the SR4 then a Fender will be a step back (imho sure). I didn't like the SR5 much tho' and was surprisingly disappointed. Go on, get a Fodera.

6. Heh, he said 700, not 7000. :D

I would definitely reccomend the Lakland if a little more toned down tha the Stingray is what youre looking for. I wanted a SR5 for the longest time, but the tone wasnt right for the music I play. Picked up a Lakland 55-02 and knew that it was the one. Great buttery smoothness. It can get a little bit of a vintage vibe goin too, if you work that EQ. Of course, IME and IMO, its got the best feeling 5 string neck in the price range, and quite a bit above too.

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I agree, even if I can play a bass before I buy it, There is no gaurantee that I will keep it. When I purchased my Lakland 55-94 deluxe I played on it at the store for about a month. Eventually I purchased it and thought I had found a keeper. But the true test always comes at the gig. This bass just didn't cut it in a live setting. In the end I was glad to see it go. I would still rather try before I bye, I have ruled out alot of basses that way.

8. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    So you like the SR4 but want more versatility? What about a dual pickup SR? I hear they start shipping november-december.
    Or just admit you want one, and get a Bongo ;)