1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String, help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ealtdharkon, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ealtdharkon

ealtdharkon

Jul 24, 2007
    I'm seriously considering getting a five string, both 'cause I do like to play a bit of the old downtuned heavy metal down and then, and am not taking my 4 string down to a C, and because I really don't like playing open strings (that goes for all four of you, even you E.)

I've been asking around, and figured to give here a try.
    Any advice, or even suggestions of a decent 5 string would be very welcome.

P.S. price range: nothing too far over £300 unless it's insanely good value for money.

P.P.S. is the Peavy Grind™ Bass 5 BXP NTB any good, 'cause it looks dead jammy.

[Edit: I feel I should mention that my four string is a Yamaha BB414.]

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    How about a BB514 then?

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Are Tributes avail in that range? I'm thinking the humbuckers would sound great for metal.

4. I'm thinking you mean Yamaha BB415... :bag:
    They're nice, and if you like your 4 string, it may be just the ticket.

I would seriously look at an Ibanez ATK305... I love mine, good for metal among many other styles, different vibe entirely from your 4 (I must get me one of them yammies...)

Steve

5. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    well i say go for it

also since you'll go over your budget for the money how about a stingray 5

6. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    +1 on Ibanez 5's

I've heard of issues of quality control, but supposedly it sounds decent.

This also sounds like a plan to me. No QC issues, and with the right strings, you'll find that it is one killer low B. You might find the tone to be a little bright for metal, but you can correct that by buying a set of coated strings (like elixir). Stingrays hold up even when abused, and having owned one amazing SR5, I don't think you can do better.

PS. I haven't tried an SR5 HH or HS, only SR5 H, so maybe having that neck position pickup would help produce an even bigger sound.

7. They should call the B string the T string. T for thumb rest.

Most of my basses have been 5's more 4's now.

8. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Never been a fan of 5 strings if i want something with 5 strings i'll get a broken guitar - however I did play a very nice six string ibanez the other week I mainly tried it out for novelty purposes though, as for a 5 string if you only want one for experimenting then try

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~OLP---MM3---Natural~ID~1865.asp

obviously a copy but better than shelling out £300/$300 on something you never play or decide you dont like.

9. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    No offense, but it seems like the OP has already made his mind up and wants a 5.

To the OP- if you are not sure: I know that here in the US, Guitar Centers have this 30 day trial period, and you can bring it back for a full refund if you just don't like whatever you bought. Check around and find out if there's anything like this around you.

10. i wouls suggest you forget about brands for a second, and just try every 5er you can find out there. But specifically you check that the B string feels like part of the bass and not an added string.

In other words, make sure the bass feels like a 5 string, and not a 4 plus a B.
    Some 5ers i've tried just make a different tone with the B then with the other 4 strings.
    If you plan on doing some metal music... slight variations in tone will not make a big difference in the whole thing.

I've done that thing before: 5 stringer bassist with 6 stringers guitarist, playing heavy metal. But that guitarist was always playing root+5th+8th+10th(sometimes) but he never detuned his guitar, so we never played in other notes than low E to A... (because we were doing some kind of doom metal or whatever that is called that needed to sound more bassy and less trebble)
    so we had an inexperienced guitarist, plus an inexperienced bassis (me) so I ended up almost never using the B string, but in home practicing.

Surprisingly for me, i used more the B string low notes when i quitted that metal band and joined a blues band. ^^

In any case, the 5er i had in that time didn't sound like the B is full part of the bass... it was an active warwick that did look cool, but maybe it was in the wrong hands.

But then i sold it to buy the 6er i have now, a passive bass made by a local argentinian luthier that sounds like an actual 6 string bass, with same tone caracteristics in every string, it's a really good bass for the price I payed (around U$S400).

But im happy my bass sounds like a 6er and not like a 4 with a low B and a high C added.

11. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL

+1 Very good point. I went very high-end to make sure I got the tone I was looking for. By trying stuff out, you can find the perfect thing for less money.

12. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Oh, I see how it is. I'll have you know that Lysdexia is a proven medical condition, and not something to make fun of.