5 string hex core for 35" scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by King David, Feb 25, 2003.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I am looking for recomendations for 5 string hex core 35" scale strings. I believe DR makes them. Are there any others?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use D'Addarios on my Modulus Q5. I forget the exact model number, it's either EXL or SL or something... should be easy to find at JustStrings.com.
  3. It depends on the sound that you want... but imho i think DR low riders are the best out there... even when compared to warwick black label which i used to swear by.... but id say go with the DR's... they seem to be the best and last for an absurd amount of time.... thats just my opinion
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I just put a set of DR Low Riders (stainles steel) on my new Roscoe SKB3005, and I am very pleased with these strings. Keep in mind that they are stiffer than round-core strings, but they sound great.

Jim D.
  5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    The stiffer piece appeals to me. I have been toying with going to a higher gauge to get a little tightness, but I am thiking of trying a hex core at the same gage. Hopefully I could get a little more tightness without sacrificing too much playability and having to tweak the action too much.
  6. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    From what i've heard, Status makes some good hex-core strings too.