Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string, hum-cancelling Jazz pups for fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mgmadian, Aug 23, 2004.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Did a search and didn't see this addressed head-on so... I'm thinking of trying new pickups in a KSD fretless 5 (the stock ones sound great, but I'd like to try some hum-cancellers).

I love the UltraJazz in my '71 Jazz, but I'd like to see about other pups for this fretless. They gotta be hum-cancelling (preferrably in-line, like the DiMarzios) and fit in a Jazz case. Any thoughts?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I believe Carey Nordstrand makes a 5 string hum cancelling J bass pickup. Check his site, or contact Jay Lewis at www.blueberryhillbass.com

Hope that helps :hyper:

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not yet, though he's thinking about it. Something like the NJ4SE, except for 5-strings, would be pretty cool.

Yeah, the UltraJazz 5 is a possibility, with 250K pots if I can find 'em with an appropriate configuration. Ideally, I'd love to try a 5-string version of the Model J here (love the Model's J's low-mid grunt), but DiMarzio doesn't offer these. The Sads are a possibility, though a more $$ than I'd like to spend here.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've kept out of this thread as I don't have any experience with 5 string J pups in a fretless. In a fretted, sure :)

The Bart 9J#1 pickups will give you a low mid growly sound, at the expense of some top end.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm using one of this as my bridge pup, in my PJ setup...

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm...I saw these while paging through Bartolini.net (at least I think so, Bartolini.net calls them 59J1s), but didn't look very closely...looks like these are inline hum-cancellers. Any idea on their output? My overall (maybe incorrect) impression of Barts is that they tend to have low output and almost need a preamp. Ideally, I'd run these in passive mode most of the time.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool... would you agree that it's got a strong low-mid presence? Any chance you've compared to a DiMarzio Model J?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, they are lower output. And yes, they're inline humbuckers.

The low mids are a bit more articulate than the model J, which I like but which can sound a bit too thick at times. The 9J's are more polite, but still have a nice growl.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've not done any comparison... But, David's right. The 9J#1 is plumpy on bottom...

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    One of my favorites for fretless are Bill Lawrence pickups. I had them in a 4-string fretless it had an amazingly clear sound to it.

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    *pimp alert*

Hey, I have a set of inline humbuckers right across the bay.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134950

To me the inline HB's sound more Pbass like but a lot of people like them. Let me know if you're interested.

EDIT:
    Ooops, I see you've already posted in my thread, nevermind...

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nah... just turn your amp up.