Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String Ibanez SR 305 DX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tjclem, Aug 5, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Is there something wrong with these basses? They go for real cheap? There is one in a pawn shop near me and they want $199 for it. The B seems good and the action seems nice...It has 4 knobs though..I took the control cover off and it looked like it was "born" with 4 knobs. I wonder if the body was from a different bass than the neck? I offered $150 for it. They came back at $175 I said I would think about it. I would like to get it and make a nice body for it. Is there an Ibanez bass forum?........................t

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, the Ibanez SR 305 DX sells new at music 123 for only $332.99 SR 305 DX @ music123
    ...so, the asking price of $200 is right about where it should be, not particularily cheap. I say, if you like the bass and it is in good condition - then it's a good deal for you. As always make sure that you play it before you buy it and that you like the way it plays.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  4. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
  5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    [​IMG]
    Here's my '98 305DX.
    I'm not crazy about the electronics, but for what I've got in it what the hey.
    I'll get around to changing them someday.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks a lot I was hoping someone owned one. That is exactly what it looks like. Have you tried running the bass passive? Just wireing the pups to a volume and tone control?....t

What do the controls do anyway?

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I've never tried running it passive. The pre-amp may well be the weak link.
    The top two knobs are volume for each pick-up, the bottom is tone and the smaller one controls the pre-amp.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the info. So aside from the electronics you like it? How is the neck and the B string. I have only played the 5 string I built and this one is calling to me I want to build a body for it and transfer all the parts into it........t

9. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I really like the playability of it. The B string's a little more boomy than the others, but I really think it's all in the electronics. It's not at all floppy.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    very cool thanks. I wonder if the pickups are string enough to be run passive? ............t

11. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Not positive but I think they actually are passive.

12. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    interesting...and tempting. I have a big slab of Mahogany that wants to become a 5 string. Thanks again....t

13. w. edgar evans

w. edgar evans

Jan 21, 2004
    I second the not to happy with the electronics motion, but, :meh: again, for the price...

Controls:

Neck side knob: Phat EQ boost. Not a volume control per se; still plays at a moderate volume when fully counter-clockwise. Turn it clockwise and it boosts the bass frequencies. With the Phat EQ all the way up, the bass sounds kinda like a P-bass with the tone rolled off (neck pickup), or half off (bridge pickup). With the Phat EQ rolled off, the bass is a bit weak sounding IMO. Use carefully.

Bottom middle knob: Pickup pan knob. No center notch on this one. I've drawn in my own markings where I prefer to set it.

Top middle knob: Bass EQ. Cut only. If you turn this down and turn the phat EQ all the way up you can occasionally conjure a good slap or midrangy funk sound.

Bridge side knob: Treble EQ. Cut only. If you're using phat EQ, leave this all the way up unless you're going for a really muddy tone.

Other observations:

String spacing is narrow at both ends. I can slap on mine, athough double thumbing and popping any string but "G" takes quite a bit of aim. Playing fingerstyle on this feels cramped compared to standard Fender string width, but that's just my preference.

My neck also has dead spots all over the place, and I can't seem to set the action high enough to stop the fret buzz around frets 7-9. :(

Hope that helps.

W.E.

14. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Well that is not a real resounding positive note. ....t

15. w. edgar evans

w. edgar evans

Jan 21, 2004
    I may have just gotten a bum bass, though. :) It was my first bass purchase, and perhaps a bit hasty.

-W.E.