1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-String Ibanez USA ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkusBass, Feb 24, 2008.

1. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Hello. I have one of the first Ibanez USA ATK 5-string basses. It's the one with the brass nut, the unusual truss rod, strings through body bridge, and the chrome letters on the head. I used it while playing in a few bands in my college years. Any idea what it is worth? I'm debating keeping or selling and buying something else. Love the bass, just thinking of trying something else. Thanks!

2. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Here is a photo from my cell phone:
    [​IMG]

3. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Better photo with a real camera:)
    [​IMG]

4. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Holy crap, is that flame all over the fretboard!?

5. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Yep!!!

6. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Damn, that's nice. And, checking the classifieds and eBay, that ATK from Korea usually goes from 350 to 400. I didn't know Ibanez made basses in the US honestly, cause it's originally a Japanese company if I remember right. Did you mean that your ATK was one of the first available? Or am I being stupid and Ibanez's indeed are manufactured in the US?

In any event, is that neck similar to the BTB neck? If so, I'd buy that from you, haha.

7. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Not sure but there are a lot of differnces between the USA ATK and the standard. Here is the history on the shop that built the USA's http://www.jemsite.com/usa/usa.htm
    The truss setup it totally different. It is a Dave Bunker patented design and the woods, electronics, and neck itself are different. I believe I paid $1,800 for it new in the early 90's, but not positive. The neck has a fairly flat profile.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    If you paid 1800 for it new, you got ripped off. That's not to say it's not a nice bass. I believe they listed for around 1200. And street pricing was 8-900 dollars. I paid 650 for mine, becuase the shop didn't know it was a USA and had it priced like the Korean model of the time. That was my 1st 5 string bass, and I still love it today.

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Used they go for around 650.00 or so. But with the re release of the ATK's the market is a bit tough for these as there aren't that many differences besides the tension free neck and the figured woods.

Dan

10. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Maybe it was 1200. I might have been thinking about a different bass that I owned...maybe it was the Tobias. I'm thinking it might have been $1299 or something. Yell...that was over 15 years ago:)

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    650 for a USA ATK?

12. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I want it!

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    that sounds about right

14. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Yeah. I've seen auctions where people try to get more but that is the going price for them. I'm not even sure you would get that now. The re-release of the ATK's kind of killed the market for used ones. Who knows, you could get more but I wouldn't expect it. There are basses that are a step up from the ATK (I.E. Musicman, G&L) that are more likely to get the cash for anything higher.

Dan

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    these are the only ibanez basses i ever liked.

i used to have one too

16. I haven't seen that price, but I wouldn't doubt it. Another TBer mentioned that G&L's and EBMM products would occupy the next price step. I'm inclined to agree. G&L 5's can be had all day long for $600-800 (depending on finish and other options) and Rays normally go a bit more.

Mike

17. IMO the ATK is better than either of those basses. Even the new MIK ones. They are fantastic basses.

lowsound

18. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Yeah...I've hat two other Ibanez basses, and hated them. I like my ATK allot, just thought if I got the right money I'd consider something else:D

19. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    The thing I really apprieciated about the USA ATK 5 is that it could really cut through the sounds the other band members were making:)

20. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Total production on the USA series was about 400 ...

This according to Dave Bunker Jr. the son of the man whos shop made them in the Bensalem PA. USA shop.

:) ... I sold my last USA series for $695.00 on the bay