Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string instructional books/videos????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CRICKETBREATH, May 30, 2005.

1. i'm hoping somewhere along this post, i could take advantage of someone who has snatched up several books on mastering the 5 string bass and could tell me if they have zeroed in on one/(some) they would HIGHLY RECOMMEND. i've spent alot of time dinkin' around, noodling with this bass, but as many of you probably know already, that eventually gets old and now i'm hoping i can step it up.

looking for instructional books (and maybe even some videos) that specialize the excersizes for all 5 strings on a bass, from scales and all that to tasteful examples of using the fifth string without sounding like a "hey dude, listen to my b string that sounds cool...huh-huh....huh..."

if this helps with recommendations, the styles i enjoy and hope to really learn and play well are funk, fusion, metal, and a little jazz. thanks.

2. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi CB,

I've found a few to be rather helpful. Namely:

"5-String Bass Complete Book of Scales Modes and Chords", by Brian Emmel - ISBN 0931759617

"Mel Bay's Complete Book of Bass Essentials for 4 & 5 String Bass", by Bunny Brunel - ISBN 1562223674

"Creating Rhythm Styles for 5-String Bass, with Drum Accompaniment", by Brian Emmel - ISBN 0931759757

"Blues Grooves Traditional Concepts for Playing Blues Bass, 4 & 5 String", by Brian Emmel - ISBN 1574240862

"Mel Bay's Learn to Play 5 String Bass", by Mike Hiland - ISBN 0786627727

Some additional material is listed here.

For fretboard drills/familiarization, here's a nifty program too: Bass Fretboard Warrior (4 & 5 String)

There's some pretty good (and also some not-too-helpful) instructional material available. It's also great to have an instructor that plays a 5 string! :D

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Very Cool! I hope you like it as much as I do. It's very intense. When you get to actually making your own lines with Gary's parameters, it can make your brain hurt! I actually wrote out the patterns that I created. It helped me to think, visualize, and execute what I wanted to do. I spent several weeks on the first few line construction exercises. I have by no means completed the book. This is the kind of book that you can use always because it works your brain to create.

Enjoy,
    Joe

5. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    I find it ironic that you have "We DO NOT need any more bassists, we DO NEED musicians!" ~Michael Dimin~ at the bottom of all your posts and your name is Bassist4Life heheheh, not that you should change it or anything i just thought it was kinda funny.

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    LOL, I know. I do feel that being a musician comes first though. I picked the bass to be my musical voice. I do understand the iron and the humor of it. I was wondering when someone would pick that out. You're the fist to make a comment. Thanks.

Joe