Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String J Bass PUPS for Yamaha BB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my stock Yamaha BB 405 passive J pups for something better. Based upon a couple of searches and price, *I think* that the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz - 5 String Bass Pickups may fit the bill.

I'm just hoping that I won't have to do any major mods to make em work. The outside measurements look to be the same as my stockers. I'm just hoping that the depth, wiring (I have 3 knobs now, two volume and 1 tone), etc will all work.

These are going for $100 - $110 depending where I look. Any ideas who may have a better deal here on the forums. I'd rather put my $'s in the hand of a forum supporter rather than just some shop I don't know, plus I'm hoping they (or you) will give me any pointers or tell me if these won't work or need major mods to work, etc. Oh, I'd prefer to stay passive at this point.

Thanks soooooo much!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I just found this review on Harmony Central where a guy with the same bass as me is using these, so I guess they will work for my BB405 just fine (as far as installation and compatability are concerned). I still ask the question of a good PUP dealer here on the site which carries these? Thanks much!

Review on Harmony Central...

Instrument
    Model of guitar or bass: Yamaha BB405
    Position: bridge
    Pickup being replaced: Neck and Bridge
    Other pickups on guitar:
    Artists using this pickup: I do not know
    You musical style(s): Smooth Jazz, Gospel, Rock, Reggae
    Reason for pickup change: I like the feel and construction of the Yamaha 405, it is very good for its value, but the humbucking stock single coil pickups is so so, not bad but hard to get a good sound with the tone control all the way up, very harsh treble. Cut the tone control to zero, better but you lose girth. I put my ear to the upper horn of the bass and play, it has good a acoustic sound. The bass a potential to sound better.

Sound
    Perceived output level: Slightly more than stock
    Tone: Well rounded and balanced
    Sonic evaluation: I use an SWR LA series amp, crate keyboard amp,and Ampeg B2. This pickup is very good. The treble is just right. I am able to drive ,oh, I mean play full treble. Cut the tone the bottom doesn't fall out, it is deep and well defined unlike what I expect normally from most passive bass. Very flexible, I don't miss having a Preamp, although this pickups I sure would sound even more Killer. I read on the DiMarzio web site these pickups can sound vintage to modern, -THEY ARE NOT FALSE ADVERTISING- it is like having benefits of a preamp but the economy of passive, on the reasons why I had bought the passive version of the bass anyway.
    For which styles and positions is this pickup (un)suitable: These Ultra Jazz 5 have the ability to cover deep R&B and jazz, to trebly picktone Rock, and Funk.

Overall Rating
    Comments: I would buy these pickups again. Unlike many other comparable choices in the aftermarket, they are a great value in that you don't need to buy an Preamp with them. They have good output and excellent tone to hang on their own. And would probably be head over a Preamp. My brethren, I and I say buy these pickups and you will be very hoppy.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this pickup a: 10 Fantastic value

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Quad, I was glad to find your post, and another of David Wilson's.
    Now I believe the Ultra jazz will work in my old BB5N.

I wonder how you liked them if you went ahead with the pu swap?

K