5 string J pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Toneman, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I just wanted to start a thread on whats out there for guys like me with 5 string J's. that might want to upgrade. I,m happy with my deluxe 5 pups but curious what I could put in my 2001 standard down the road. I play mosty blues, jazz. thanks in advance. Tony
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, I think there are quite a few available. I know DiMarzio, EMG and Aero make them, for instance. I think Bartolini does as well.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I have Duncan Basslines Js in my Lakland 5, and they seem to be pretty good all-purpose pickups...using the passive tone control, I can get anything from a real glassy tone to a nice mellow thump. I believe they're the Vintage J models.
  4. I also have a 5 string J, and I've been looking to upgrade my pickups. However I've run into a small problem.... Most replacement pickups don't fit the routing without modification. My neck is approx 4", and the Bridge is a little bit longer than that. The Basslines SJB5, AJB5, or 67/70 (according to Warmoth) are all for 3 3/4". The Bartolini 57J and 57K are supposed to fit they are 3.98 in / 4.13 in (according to the Bart site). Also Rio Grande's Vintage J's are supposed to fit as well. Other than those two and Fender pickups, I don't know of any that fit the routs.