1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string J pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Toneman, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I just wanted to start a thread on whats out there for guys like me with 5 string J's. that might want to upgrade. I,m happy with my deluxe 5 pups but curious what I could put in my 2001 standard down the road. I play mosty blues, jazz. thanks in advance. Tony

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, I think there are quite a few available. I know DiMarzio, EMG and Aero make them, for instance. I think Bartolini does as well.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I have Duncan Basslines Js in my Lakland 5, and they seem to be pretty good all-purpose pickups...using the passive tone control, I can get anything from a real glassy tone to a nice mellow thump. I believe they're the Vintage J models.

4. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    I also have a 5 string J, and I've been looking to upgrade my pickups. However I've run into a small problem.... Most replacement pickups don't fit the routing without modification. My neck is approx 4", and the Bridge is a little bit longer than that. The Basslines SJB5, AJB5, or 67/70 (according to Warmoth) are all for 3 3/4". The Bartolini 57J and 57K are supposed to fit they are 3.98 in / 4.13 in (according to the Bart site). Also Rio Grande's Vintage J's are supposed to fit as well. Other than those two and Fender pickups, I don't know of any that fit the routs.